Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting during warm weather >

Hunting during warm weather

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting during warm weather

Old 08-10-2007, 08:35 AM

Default RE: Hunting during warm weather

First don't forget the Thermacell.. Down here in MS the skeeters tote butcher knives.. Light weight clothes and water.. and hope for a breeze
Old 08-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Seems that your original question..."What kinds of things/techniques do you use to bring in the deer when the weather is warm?" has been overlooked.

When it's hot, there is no question that water is key. Look for a good water supply between the bedding area and feeding area and set up along those lines and you should see some action. It's awful hard to sit still when it's hot outside, but you have to do your best to remain as motionless as possible so that you don't spook them.
One farm where I hunt...about 180 arces and not a drop of water on the property. We are in a severe drought right now with temps in the high 90s and low 100s. This is causing some strange behavior...like deer being in the fields during the heat of the day...I suppose trying to get a little water out of the crops. Very unusual and it will be interesting to see what happens between now and opening on 15 September.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Spike

therma cell does work great!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wear my air mesh cap, my air mesh T-Shirt, Camo Shorts, and my snake boots... of course a face mask and proper scent control. I'm not too much worried about my skin showing, because my summer stand is a 17 ft. boxed in tower blind. And all of my camo is Realtree Hardwoods HD
Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not just water sources for drinking, but cool wallows and muddy depressions in the hills with plenty of shade are big draws as the day warms up as well.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll hunt water holes heavily for elk,whitetails and lopersand evening food destinations just off the bedding areas. I will wear the light weight scent lok base layer only with rubber boots, light weight scent lok liner gloves and scent lok liner head cover if I am in a stand or on set up in a natural ground blind. It may look a little goofy but its extremely lightweight, breathable and comfy in 80-100 degree temps.. My season opens next week, the 15th and its going to be hot.

If its hot when I elk hunt and I am on the move in the brush, I will add a very think mesh 3-d suit over the top of thebase layers..
Old 08-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Well if you're in Helena, then you're breathing smoke from all the fires raging across the state.. Working harding hiking the Elkhorns or the Big Belts in hot weather while breathing smoke is going to be interesting. We're going to have a camp down in the Big Belts in late September, hoping for a lot of moisture coming your way along with snow to kick off the Elk rut.

If you're hunting the mountains then I'd pay close attention to the thermals depending on the time of the day which are going to carry your scent big time regardless of whether you buy into all this scent lock stuff.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

They only thing I can think of that nobody already mentioned is a trick I learned from some old-timers down in Florida, after getting the guts out as quick as possible, take a can of black pepper and give the insides a good coating, this will keep the bugs out espesially flys!.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: devil dog

They only thing I can think of that nobody already mentioned is a trick I learned from some old-timers down in Florida, after getting the guts out as quick as possible, take a can of black pepper and give the insides a good coating, this will keep the bugs out espesially flys!.
I hear that one too, but I like to use good quality game bags instead...