Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Jumping the String? >

Jumping the String?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jumping the String?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Jumping the String?

I have heard so many times that a deer jumps the string,referring mostly to the overall noise ofthe bow.We all make plenty of effort to eliminate bow noise.WhatI think is overlooked is the noise that a broadhead makes in flight. I was shooting with a friend of mine--yes I do have friends--and he was on his roof, and I was on the ground. I was about 10feet out in front of him,( okay, I know the safety police are going to criticize that one, but I was 25 feet below him, and in no danger)and he shot one right over my head and you wouldn't believe the sound that the broadhead makes slicing through the air! I imagine that some of the mechanicals would be quieter,but I don't know. Any thoughts? IMO opinion, itis more of what the deer are reacting toif not as much.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jumping the String?

I am usually shooting at calm deer, they don't know I am in the woods. So I have rarely if ever had one jump the string. I think that makes a big difference, if the deer is an full alert it doesn't need much of an excuse to bolt. And it doesn't take them long to move when they are wired like that.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thats one of the reasons I like mechanicals. But, this year, I will be hunting out of a blind alot this year. The mesh makes a fixed head a necessity.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you think it was the broadhead making the noise or maybe the fletching/feathers??
Old 08-09-2007, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

Do you think it was the broadhead making the noise or maybe the fletching/feathers??
From the sound , my guess it was the blades cutting through the air. I can't type anything that describes it, but it is similar to some Hollywood sound effects mimicking a fast object in a cartoon. It could be the fletching, but I honestly think that it is the blades. Stand out infront--safely--and listen to one go by overhead is teh onlyway to see for yourself.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah my guess would be the vanes! If you ever go to a 3d shoot u will really here the noise I think you wanna describe and you have to shoot fieldtips. I am not saying that broadheads dont make noise!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Well, either way, it is still as much or more of a problem than the bow itself. Any suggestions? I don't think that limbsavers on the fletching will work!!!