Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 String noise???? (Now w/video) >

String noise???? (Now w/video)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String noise???? (Now w/video)

Old 08-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default String noise???? (Now w/video)

I had a new custom string put on my my Hoyt XTEC last week by my local pro shop. This guy really does a good job and I have never had any problems from any of his work. I went and picked it up, it looked great,I paid him, and went home and shot the bow.

From the very first shot I could notice quite a bit of string noise (vibration) that the bow didn't have before. It used to be extremely quiet, now this!![&:]I am not sure whatI can do other than take it back to him and try to find out what it is. It used to have the rubber whiskers onthe old string,now this string has the Fuse String Shox. I wouldn't think that the String Shox would make that much of a difference? What do you guys think? Is there anythingI can try that might get rid of the vibration beforeI take it back? Thanks

Here is a video of me shooting it. Tell me if you all can hear the viobration from the string. I know it is not super loud, but it is just louder than it used to be. Tell me what you think: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/broncho10/Videos/?action=view&current=Hunting_10-28-2006002.flv

Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String noise????

On the advice of some more experienced guys on here, I put whiskers on my bow and it is
very quiet now. I'm a believer. So maybe it could make that much difference, only one
way to find out. [8D]
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM

The string shox actually work extremely well. Make sure the DL modules are tight, and the string is riding in the cams like it is supposed to. Also make sure the shox are in the correct position on the string. If they are too low they won't be as effective.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

On the advice of some more experienced guys on here, I put whiskers on my bow and it is
very quiet now. I'm a believer. So maybe it could make that much difference, only one
way to find out. [8D]
I second that..had string leeches that lasted 'bout 2 months, tried bow jacks...lasted 1 month, so I went back to whiskers (had a set to last 18 months, changed them for the string leeches when I got my bow re-strung). I'm a firm beleiver in whiskers.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Madjac20

I second that..had string leeches that lasted 'bout 2 months, tried bow jacks...lasted 1 month, so I went back to whiskers (had a set to last 18 months, changed them for the string leeches when I got my bow re-strung). I'm a firm beleiver in whiskers.

I know whiskers are more durable....but I just want to know what is causing so much string noise. I am going to go shoot it right now and try to figure something out. I don't think they are too low, they are about3-4 inches below my cams.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the help
Old 08-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: String noise???? (Now w/video)

Check out the STS system stabilizer shock system, it is AWESOME, my buddy put one on his Bow and it is simply amazing the difference this thing makes... I use the limbsavers and whiskers and dampeners and all that and none of it works like this sts system.. NO JOKE.. I have never seen a difference maker like this.. The Limbsaver system is great and I will never be without it but, after this coming week I will never be without this either.. You have to try it.. It is just like the limb savers but it comes out to reach the string and when you realease the string actually hits this rubber dampener or whatever it is made out of and it completely keeps shock and vibration out of the bow.. Amazing... Someone back me up on this... Their are different kinds I believe his isnt the STS but something else, I couldnt think of the name of his and went to cabelas.com and seen the STS and it looks exactly the same as what he has... Check with your local bow shop and see what they have and then get one.. I will get the name of his and post it later..
Old 08-12-2007, 10:40 PM

Default RE: String noise???? (Now w/video)

I agree with the sts.. Sts makes a mount especially for hoyt bows.. I know their are a few others out there making string suppresors them as well, vibe killer, css(i think), and mean V to name a few..most need a rear riser hole. the sts has a front mount if your riser dose not have a rear hole..

They have made a huge difference on my bows and most of my buddies as well.. As for cat whiskers, i have found that these work the best to silence, better than any other, but they also add a few more grains to your string and you lose a few more fps, if your worried about that..

Maybe check to make sure your specs are allwhere they should be with the new string(Brace,ATA,Timing) the pro shop should have done this but maybe they missed somthing..who knows..thiscan cause viberation and shock..
Old 08-13-2007, 05:35 AM

the string is riding in the cams like it is supposed to.
ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr
Are you implying that his timimg may be off resulting in a louder bow?

Would not being at an even tiller be the cause of this?

DISCLAIMER: I'M ONLY THROWING OUT IDEAS HERE. TRYING TO IMPROVE MY TUNING ABILITY.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Are you implying that his timimg may be off resulting in a louder bow?

Would not being at an even tiller be the cause of this?
In English please!!!