HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shrink-wrap fletchings? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/201427-shrink-wrap-fletchings.html)

ChrisAU 08-09-2007 01:54 PM

Shrink-wrap fletchings?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had used the fletchings that you simply slide on the bow and dip in hot water and they shrink on? I've read good reviews on them, and I don't have a lot of time on my hands to good re-fletching jobs.

My WB has eaten up my 4" vanes, and 2 of my arrows vanes were obliterated (at 50 yds my 18"x18"x18" layered block is no match for practice broadheads, and both of my shots made complete pass throughs and went about 1" shy of going completely through the 1/2" 6-ply plywood I use as a backstop, wasn't good for the fletchings on those arrows!), so I was thinking about using the shrink-wrap fletchingsto do some quick changes to Blazer vanes. Any input?

shawneeslinger 08-09-2007 01:59 PM

RE: Shrink-wrap fletchings?

I was just getting ready to ask the exact same thing. I would love to know the feedback. If you try them, post your results.

thanks

bearklr 08-09-2007 02:00 PM

I haven't used the shrink wrap versions but I can say that with the new glues on the market you can fletch a half dozen arrows relatively quick. Hell, I use goat tuff and that stuff is dry enough to move to the next fletching in about 15 or 20 seconds.

Wheatley 08-09-2007 02:19 PM

Hey guys I didn't have a fletching jig so I tried them all last season. They worked great to get me shooting again. They didn't slide or twist at all. The problem came when I shot something/anything. I first shot a deer and with a pass thru shot the whole dang thing ripped off. Granted the arrow split a rib and that could have caused it. So I gave them another shot. Next thing I shot was a coyote and the same thing happended.

Now it's really not a problem when hunting from a tree stand. I shot the coyote from my treestand and my arrow was stickin up out of the ground.

The deer I shot was from the ground and the arrow burried into the grass. I had a white nock on it but it was gettting dark and I could not find the arrow to save my life. I finally kicked it and got lucky to see what type of hit I got.

This year I bought a bitz jig and fletched my own arrows with wraps.

cptleo1 08-09-2007 03:18 PM

The trick to them is the water temp.

Too hot they wilt

Too cold they slip

Cheap candy thermometer = success

Madjac20 08-09-2007 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: ChrisAU

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had used the fletchings that you simply slide on the bow and dip in hot water and they shrink on? I've read good reviews on them, and I don't have a lot of time on my hands to good re-fletching jobs.

My WB has eaten up my 4" vanes, and 2 of my arrows vanes were obliterated (at 50 yds my 18"x18"x18" layered block is no match for practice broadheads, and both of my shots made complete pass throughs and went about 1" shy of going completely through the 1/2" 6-ply plywood I use as a backstop, wasn't good for the fletchings on those arrows!), so I was thinking about using the shrink-wrap fletchingsto do some quick changes to Blazer vanes. Any input?
I've used them..they'll do in a pinch, they're no substitute for the real thing. IMHO, get yourself a fletching jig, some good glue and some blazers and have at it.

Trex 08-09-2007 05:13 PM

I have fletched one arrow with them this year to see how they compared to my other arrows. It actually flies better because it has a slight twist to the fletching whereas my other arrows are straight fletched. I purchased a set of six to see how durable they are but as of yet I haven't had the opportunity or need to shoot "through" anything and I only fletched one arrow with them. I think cptleo1 may be right....I was very careful to heat the water to the exact temperature when fletching the arrow as this was my first experience with these. They are very tight to the shaft and I don't see how it could come off on a pass-through but that remains to be seen based on my own experience. I have shot it many time into my bag target and it seems to be asintact today as the day I installed it.