HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Who uses corn?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/201402-who-uses-corn.html)

killadoe 08-09-2007 11:17 AM

Who uses corn??

Of you use corn to deer hunt what was your most successful way. Did you have it in a feeder of scattered on the ground? Tell me how it worked best for you...

YooperMike 08-09-2007 11:25 AM

RE: Who uses corn??

For corn, we have always had the best success scattering it on the ground in a big circle. If it is in a pile, you can get one pile-riding doe to rule the whole thing and beat the others away. We not use feeders that broadcast it, just for time saving sake and travel, and they work, but no substitute for scattering a bucket by hand.

kwilson16 08-09-2007 11:30 AM

We usea feeder in a suburban setting to provide shots for doe tags and hunters who are less mobile (i.e. my 63 year old father-in-law). BTW, the only feeder worth your money is the Lifetime Feeder - highly reliable.

I have never seen a mature buck approach corn during daylight hours. Around here, they just know better from pressure, prior encounters etc.

If you are going to hand-spread it, you might consider spreading it over a large area. If it's piled up, it may contribute to the spread of desease and it makes the deer suspicious.

Countryboy45683 08-09-2007 11:41 AM

I bought a Moultrie Feeder kit. Works great and use corn in it. Been bringing in the deer.Theywill stay for hoursandeat up the seed that is scattered.I will take it down when season opens as it is illegal to bait in my area.

HuntingEd 08-09-2007 11:43 AM

I had some plastic 55gal drums w/ screw on lids. Drilled two 1.5" holes in the sides at the bottom, filled w. corn...

Automatic feeders work great too... this was just cheaper

Kelly/KY 08-09-2007 11:46 AM

Use a auto feeder, 200 lb. Works good, especially early season scouting with the game cams.

GR8atta2d 08-09-2007 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Countryboy45683

I bought a Moultrie Feeder kit. Works great and use corn in it. Been bringing in the deer.Theywill stay for hoursandeat up the seed that is scattered.I will take it down when season opens as it is illegal to bait in my area.
And if in Pa You'd better be shutting down your feeder real soon. 30 days prior to hunting the area.

(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.

roostergun 08-09-2007 12:16 PM

I use corn . I feed the deer behind my house every year and they are in there at a certan time of day everyday . Best thing to do is if you wanna kill a buck is let the does come to the corn and start eating and right at dark the buck might come in there . But he might not . But you will kill does like no other over corn .

Countryboy45683 08-09-2007 12:19 PM

GR8atta2d -- Dont worrry its coming down... But worked nice to get some pics of deer.. Here is a question for you. On my property by my house I dont hunt it. Can I legally put the feeder there if I dont hunt the property?

Jim_IV 08-09-2007 12:20 PM

i hunt over corn about 50% of the time. most of my buddies hunt over it 100% of the time but i like to change it up.