Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who uses corn??

Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who uses corn??

We have scattered it around in previous years but the last couple we have been putting it in 55 gallon drums drilling holes in the bottom. Alot cheeper than mechanical feeders and they dont rust.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 PM

that sounds like a good plan. so noone uses it on public land, not even a little handful here and there lol. i guess it is wrong, of course, b/c its illegal, but i dont see anything real wrong with it. maybe im jus a terrible, unethical person to think it, but i jus wanted to know how others felt. i honestly prob. wont do it simply because its the law, but ehtically i dont see anything wrong with it, except for of course its unethical to break the law. jus a curioisity question thats all.

goosblues, i like that idea.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 PM

We keep one 55 gal. barrel with a magnum timer and a 12V solar battery with panel. Keeping it full gets expensive throughout the year especially mixed with some buck o'la to provide the nutrients they need but, after making some changes is our baiting techniques we have noticed a huge difference. In a few other locations we have a few homemade feeders made out of a five gal. bucket with a hole cut out of the bottom and a broom with two screws put on opposite sides from another, about 8 inches from one end. The hole in the bottom of the bucket should be only a 1/4 inch bigger than the diameter of the broom stick. Keep the lid for it and tie it up in a tree with the broom handle about 4 feet from the ground. You could even spray paint it camoflauge to keep it hidden. Works great but we don't keep them full much at all due to the fact that the corn gets eaten too fast. Most everyone knows that is really used to keep the does around so when the rut starts the bucks have a reason to come onto your property. I rarely kill anything over the bait pile. Hopefully, I can catch up with the rest of the world and get some game cameras going so I can show you guys some pics.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Notice the feeder on zip tied to the tree? Cost's about $2.00 to make!....$7.00 to fill!

Sorry about the date on the Camera....but that pic was from 8/1/07
Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that's a innovative feeder! I am going this weekend to make one of these.