Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those that don't think location or numbers matter >

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM

Default For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Let me be PERFECTLY clear from the start. This IN NO WAY is meant to diminish the efforts of Mr H..........it's just a really good example.

Does anyone have even the slightest doubt that Michael Hunsucker and his group will drop numerous big mature bucks this year?

Now take a look back at what they smacked last year............and the trail cam thread from this year and tell us if you still think location does not matter when hunting big bucks.

Also, it has been said many times that increasing the number of larger bucks in an area does not make it any easier to hunt or kill them.

Really???..............still think that???
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Let me be PERFECTLY clear from the start. This IN NO WAY is meant to diminish the efforts of Mr H..........it's just a really good example.

Does anyone have even the slightest doubt that Michael Hunsucker and his group will drop numerous big mature bucks this year?

Now take a look back at what they smacked last year............and the trail cam thread from this year and tell us if you still think location does not matter when hunting big bucks.

Also, it has been said many times that increasing the number of larger bucks in an area does not make it any easier to hunt or kill them.

I don't think anyone believes that there aren't places that are easier to kill big mature bucks due to a more dense population of them.

I think what most believe is that if one truly wants to kill mature bucks on a somewhat consistent basis, you can do so even if you live in an area that doesn't have as dense of a population of them. Theprice may be higher in terms of scouting, hunting harder, finding new areas within several hours drive from your residence, etc..............but if it'sa high enough priority you can still do this.

For some (me included) the price is too high though to want to do this. Instead I choose to hunt on my family property and another friends property where the hunting is pretty good for the northeast, howeverI know if I was willing to find new places to hunt, pull myself out of my comfort zone, and put the time in to find a pattern mature bucks every year I could probably do so.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

So, you think that because there are big bucks on MH's property, and a good number of them, that he'll be able to stoll out into the woods whistling Dixie and pop a 160" class buck in the first hour of opening day?

I have little doubt that MH will get a chance at a nice buck this year, but he has put in countless hours in the off season (obviously) and will log many hours on stand to get that buck. He may not get one, there is no guarantee.

Few here could argue that the Drury's farms and properties are some of the best managed properties for trophy bucks around. Two seasons ago Terry Drury failed to connect on a buck with his bow. Does that make him a bad hunter?

Knowing they're there makes it easier to get out there and get in the stand on those days you'd rather stay in bed. The fact that they are there means you stand a better chance of getting one than if they were not (I know I don't need to explain that), however, just because they are there doesn't mean they are going to walk up to your stand and die for you. These are old, mature animals that have evaded death long enough to get to that age. You still have to put in the hours and get past their defenses.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of course location and land accessmake up 1/2 the battle. The other 1/2 is work and sacrifice.

Part of that sacrifice seems to be a Family& Career..rarely do you see the "Big Buck Gang" talk of family, wives, children, work. I imagine a solitary exsitance with meaningless jobs ..lots of friends around hunting season that drift away during other times of year.

It's usually a lot of hunting, traveling, filming,time-off. That's just an observation ..I could be wrong?

I'm not knocking it, perhaps if I was 20ish again it would be me..at least for a few years.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of course location is vital. There are plenty of external factors that play into your success or lack of when hunting bucks. Pressure, buck:doe ratios, tresspassers even, around my part of the world its packs of hounds running deer. Plenty of external factors indeed.

But, folks who are consistantly successful know how to play things to their strengths. You can keep the pressure on deer down by limiting foot/vehical traffic on your hunting area. You can take does, and let immature bucks walk to even out buck:doe ratios. You can supplemental feed to help deer reach their potential. But somethings you just can't help.

Example; you have a much better chance at a 200" deer if you live in the midwest than you do if you live in Florida. Unless of course, you live in Fla, and travel to the midwest. That said, location does matter. You can't catch a marlin in a farm pond, you gotta run out to where they are.

But, a mature buck is still a mature buck. No matter how much bone he wears, a 6 yo is a 6yo, and he is going to be a challenge for you no matter what. If you do all of the above things to help swing the odds, then your chance just get better.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey no messing with Hunsucker BTW finding a good location is part of huntingor having it in the family for 160 years.

You sure do post a lot about big bucks

Atlas if you spent the amount of time hunting big bucks asyou do posting why you do not shoot one. I am 100% postive you would have NY's state record.

But I do agree location is key. Only logic if you have more big deer your chances of success go up.

Why I did not go to weight watchers to find my wife[:-]
Old 08-09-2007, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

So, you think that because there are big bucks on MH's property, and a good number of them, that he'll be able to stoll out into the woods whistling Dixie and pop a 160" class buck in the first hour of opening day?
If I thought that I would have said that.

I have little doubt that MH will get a chance at a nice buck this year, but he has put in countless hours in the off season (obviously) and will log many hours on stand to get that buck.
What does one have to do with the other?? I know many guys that will do the same and not even see one buck of that caliber.

He may not get one, there is no guarantee.
If you had to bet your house on it which would you pick??

Few here could argue that the Drury's farms and properties are some of the best managed properties for trophy bucks around. Two seasons ago Terry Drury failed to connect on a buck with his bow.
WOW...........he went a WHOLE YEAR without dropping a monster buck with his bow??? I don't know how guys like him find the strength to fight through such adversity. He is truely a warrior.

Does that make him a bad hunter?
I guess that would depend on whether you think when he connects makes him a good hunter.

These are old, mature animals that have evaded death long enough to get to that age. You still have to put in the hours and get past their defenses.
So do you honestly believe that the hunters who are crafty and clever enough to accomplish this just happen to live in Iowa, Kansas, Ohio, Illinois, etc????

Really?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Hey no messing with Hunsucker

I'm not.............from everything I have seen and read from Michael he is a great guy.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

WOW...........he went a WHOLE YEAR without dropping a monster buck with his bow??? I don't know how guys like him find the strength to fight through such adversity. He is truely a warrior.

Now thats funny right there and I don't care if your wife is gravitationally challenged.[:-]
Old 08-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Instead of the black deer in your avatar, you should have green one for envy. Just keep shooting button bucks and cry about everyone else who shoots mature deer. I hope Hunsucker takes an IL record on the first day of hunting season.

*Please keep it civil*

Quick Reply: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.