Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those that don't think location or numbers matter >

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Let me be PERFECTLY clear from the start. This IN NO WAY is meant to diminish the efforts of Mr H..........it's just a really good example.

Does anyone have even the slightest doubt that Michael Hunsucker and his group will drop numerous big mature bucks this year?

Now take a look back at what they smacked last year............and the trail cam thread from this year and tell us if you still think location does not matter when hunting big bucks.

Also, it has been said many times that increasing the number of larger bucks in an area does not make it any easier to hunt or kill them.

Really???..............still think that???
There is no doubt that location matters. Especially when you consider that there are, and will continue to be until legislation is passed, folks like you that refuse to explore the benefits of QDM.

The simple fact is that you speak to that which you do not know. You have never spent a season hunting in a location that harbors a quality deer herd so you cannot offer any valid argument. The assumptions you make post after post infuriate me and are so frickin' ridiculous. It is sad that it will require laws to be passed for browner downers to come arounder.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

If location REALLY doesn't matter... at all...

Then y'all won't be shy about posting the GPS coordinates of your favorite deer stands. Feel free to add driving directions - maybe tell us where the best parking area is... et cetera...You can easily just find a new spot to hunt - since any chunk of woods is as good as the next...

Or maybe you'd be prepared to explain to me why people spend millions every year traveling from the east coast - just to sit in a treestand for a week in Pike Co., IL or Biggar, SK. I mean, hell, it's just as easy to shoot a 150-class deer in Delaware, right?

Now I'm not saying that "location" is the end-all, be-all of hunting (it's not).There are plenty of other intangibles (food, carrying capacity, hunting pressure, antler management program, property size, etc...) - but location is a very valid consideration.

So let's get those GPS coordinates in. I'm ready for a Realtree Roadtrip of my own.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:26 PM

I know a man in his late 80's who has a beautiful piece of property with some nice bass ponds on it, full of big bass. One day a visitor came through, and was commenting on how nice the property was. The man stated, "Rufus, the Lord sure has been good to you, giving you this nice property." To that Rufus replied, "Yes, he has, but you should have seen it when he gave it to me. We have worked on it together."

Even where there are alot of big bucks, there aren't that many, percentage-wise. It still takes huge amounts of work and effort. If I'm going to work at it that hard then I'm also going to go where my odds are the best. Stands to reason, don't it? If I'm not trying to make things better, then I am part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Yeah, it makes a difference where you hunt. But all a man can do is do the best he can with what he has, whatever that is.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok so location location location...If that's what we've come down 2 there are several options.

1) Move...many Trophy Hunters move to big buck States

2) Manage your location better... may require 100K+ land purchase

3) See the list of sponsors at this site and pay to go to an outfitter

4) Whine and complain and keep shooting dinks
Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Location is key. Obviously the more quality bucks you have on the property the better your odds/percentages are, but still, luck plays a part, homework, having optional stands to hunt different wind directions, shooting skill, keeping cool under pressure etc... If dont do your homework, or know the deers travel routes, feeding and bedding patterns, and cant continually make those high pressure clutch shots your odds will go way down for shooting a big boy even if your property holds several big bucks. I think you have to continually have all of the above to harvest good bucks year after year which Mike obviously does.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

Let me be PERFECTLY clear from the start. This IN NO WAY is meant to diminish the efforts of Mr H..........it's just a really good example.

Does anyone have even the slightest doubt that Michael Hunsucker and his group will drop numerous big mature bucks this year?

Now take a look back at what they smacked last year............and the trail cam thread from this year and tell us if you still think location does not matter when hunting big bucks.

Also, it has been said many times that increasing the number of larger bucks in an area does not make it any easier to hunt or kill them.

There is no doubt that location matters. Especially when you consider that there are, and will continue to be until legislation is passed, folks like you that refuse to explore the benefits of QDM.

The simple fact is that you speak to that which you do not know. You have never spent a season hunting in a location that harbors a quality deer herd so you cannot offer any valid argument. The assumptions you make post after post infuriate me and are so frickin' ridiculous. It is sad that it will require laws to be passed for browner downers to come arounder.
Maybe the QDM guys should actually read the QDMA site because yes there are benefits from QDM but no it is not for everyone....

Is QDM Right for You?
Quality deer management is not a panacea and many things should be considered before implementing QDM practices on your hunting land. If you answer yes to the following questions, QDM may be right for you. · Do you have enough acreage to manage your deer population without being severely affected by hunting pressure on adjacent properties? If not, will your neighbors join you and possibly others in forming a QDM cooperative? · Is the habitat on your hunting property adequate to produce and maintain a healthy deer herd? If not, do you and your hunting companions have the funds, equipment, and commitment to manage and improve the habitat? · Do the deer-hunting regulations in your state allow enough flexibility to manage your herd? Does your state wildlife agency encourage and assist landowners with management and allow adequate doe harvests? · Are you and your hunting companions prepared to commit to a long-term (often five or more years) management program? · Do you and your hunting companions understand the financial, time, and energy commitments and have realistic expectations regarding a QDM program?
When considering QDM, realistic expectations must be stressed. Management goals should be set with the potential of the local herd in mind. As a quality herd becomes established, it is important not to let expectations exceed the capabilities of the herd or habitat. Significant changes to deer herds and deer habitats do not happen overnight and often take several years to become obvious."

and
Is QDM for all Hunters?
"Not necessarily. But a growing number of hunters have progressed to a stage in their hunting that reflects a change in values and a desire for a "different" hunting experience. Involvement in QDM is simply an alternative to traditional deer management. Originally, only large properties (1,000 acres or more) were involved in QDM, but smaller properties are now participating through the formation of QDM cooperatives comprised of several smaller properties with similar objectives."

QDM is not practical on most pieces of land that the average joe hunts. If you have prime land, cooperation, and several years of resources and time to invest then have at it. But most of us don't, and even though I may kill does and plant food plots that is not aQDM program, those are some QDM strategies but that is it.

Laws on antler restrictionsare notaQDM program,it is a law that allows a buck to get older before getting killed, by what a year or two? So as far as QDM goes you may (after years) get a better mixed agestructure(which is only one aspect of QDM),but you alsomay end up with more button bucks getting killed as your doe/antlerless harvests go up. It is an enormous guessing game and there is no clear cut right/wrong I'm not sure why both camps keep beating this thing, agree to disagree, do what works for you and you enjoy, why is that philosophy so hard to understand.

Location matters, so what. Michael H is obviously no slouch in the deer woods and would kill big deer regardless of where he hunted.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wheatley

I forgot who said it but it sounds like MH has no life!
Oh i have a life and you know exactly what it is....

Chasing big mature whitetails!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

So let's get those GPS coordinates in. I'm ready for a Realtree Roadtrip of my own.

N23 07' 03"
W82 23' 23"
Old 08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been saying it for years, I dont care if you live in the Woods and Eat Tree Bark and Deer Poop, You cant Kill big Deer where Big Deer Dont Live!

Old 08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing else really matters except...Can we please have some cheese with the wine?

Please refer to both ofmy signatures for the best advice!!!

Quick Reply: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.