Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Snake Bitten???? >

Snake Bitten????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snake Bitten????

Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 PM

Default RE: Snake Bitten????

I have read a lot lately on what to do when bit by a poisonous snake. I am planning on doing a solo mule deer hunt in western Nebraska and am just wondering what the proper procedure would be if I was bitten out in the middle of nowhere by myself. Do I risk walking back to the truck to get to the hospital for anti-venom, or do I sit tight and hope that I can signal or call for help?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Natural

I knew I shouldn't of opened this thread!
So I'm not the only one lifting their feet off the floor as I scroll through this darned thread?

I hate snakes!
Old 08-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hey mundt we have rattle snakes here in WI.. I have seen them and my cousin in trempeleau killed a couple while building his house a few years ago.. They have some mounted in the DNR station in Eau Claire that were killed over the years in WI.. I have never been bit by one but am kinda nervous about going out to WY this fall for antelope.. The area I am hunting has quite a few, so I am told... Hopefully wont see or even hear any... Will be buying snake boots before I go..Uncomfortable or not...
Old 08-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do not get excited, slow walk, avoid anything that caused the blood to flow faster. It would be a plus to apply pressurethe joint above where you were bitten but do not cut off the circulation. Apply ice if you have any get medical attention as soon as possible. Always keep a cell phone with you if you are hunting be yourself, notify someone of your condition alonewith the type of snake. Have them to get medical assistance started an have someone coming to your aid.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear them everytime. I have never been bitten but have come way to close for comfort to copperheads, watermocosins, canebreak rattlers, and even a coral snake. Then you have the black snakes that scare the bejesus out of you.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:37 PM

Oh yeh: Bitten by Cotton mouth on the knuckles. Funny thing was I had boots on and tripped forward into the grass. When I pulled my hands up he was attached to my finger. Fangs went right through the surface skin and never made it into the bloodstream. Recovery was full with little discomfort. Wear your boots...we have many snakes on our property. Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, Coral , Pigmy and Cotton Mouths. Seen them all. Heres a smaller Cotton Mouth I am playing with by camp.

Be careful.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:15 PM

One Less!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 PM

I was actually bitten by a kingsnake this weekend. I've caught alot of snakes (rat snake, chicken snake, water snake, copperhead, puff adder, garter snake, grass snake, black racers.) I usually try to catch em when I see 'em lol. Instead of kill them especially the kings cause they eat copperheads and cotton mouths or water mocasins. I have been bitten by most of them exceptthe posionous ones and I have heard that it can still make you sick but I never experienced any ill side effects. I love the picture of the the snake shot with a bow. I have done that before but he was on the move and it took way more than one shot. Haha. I dont wear snake boots only rubber boots no insulation........what can I say.....my feet get hot and it cuts down on scent distribution.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: SteveO KanevO

I was actually bitten by a kingsnake this weekend. I've caught alot of snakes (rat snake, chicken snake, water snake, copperhead, puff adder, garter snake, grass snake, black racers.) I usually try to catch em when I see 'em lol. Instead of kill them especially the kings cause they eat copperheads and cotton mouths or water mocasins. I have been bitten by most of them exceptthe posionous ones and I have heard that it can still make you sick but I never experienced any ill side effects. I love the picture of the the snake shot with a bow. I have done that before but he was on the move and it took way more than one shot. Haha. I dont wear snake boots only rubber boots no insulation........what can I say.....my feet get hot and it cuts down on scent distribution.
Are you aware that puff adders are found in Africa and Africa only?
You must be thinking of another snake... unless your from Africa.[&:]
Old 08-14-2007, 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: the bees knees

ORIGINAL: SteveO KanevO

Are you aware that puff adders are found in Africa and Africa only?
You must be thinking of another snake... unless your from Africa.[&:]
That was a really long time ago and thats what my dad told me it was because it flattened itself out. It wasnt a long snake maybe 1.5 feet and if I remember right it was sandy colored with a short head and dark markings on its back. I caught it in Florida near Land O' Lakes. Ifpuff addersare from Africa strickly then I suppose that the pythons in the Everglades are native to that area also. HA. I dont really remember what it was but thats what I was told, now that I think of it, maybe it was like a pygmy hog snake or something. I dunno someone tell me so I can be corrected. I kind of like to keep up with stuff like that. Once again I think I said this is another posting but that picture is the coolest. See ya'll

Quick Reply: Snake Bitten????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.