Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public Land

Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Public Land

I hunt mostly public land, and here are my suggestions:

1) As others have said, don't tell anyone if you find a good spot.

2) Get as far away as practical from any roads.

3) Try to find an access point that is not used by the public. My wife andI have two pieces of land that border on GW national Forest (overa million acres). The one I like best for hunting is 6 miles from the nearest public entry to the National Forest. Lots of deer because it's just us and our neighbors (and a few friends, etc.) hunting a lot of land.

4) If you can't do (3), above, then get in early and let the latecomers drive the deer to you.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:57 PM

The most important tool in a public land hunter's arsenal is a climbing treestand imo. Other's are a gps, compass, and comfortable boots to get you away from the crowds.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: heo kyle

The most important tool in a public land hunter's arsenal is a climbing treestand imo. Other's are a gps, compass, and comfortable boots to get you away from the crowds.
Get a good Topographic map!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Everyone hit just about every point their is to public land hunting and they are ALL very important. 90 percent of what I hunt is public. The only help I can add is try to hunt early in the season and during the week after work or before work or take off during the week alot of public land is vacant. Also hit the hard presured land early in the season first couple weeks before the deer get presured out and then Go to the less pressured land for the rest of the season to optimize the oportunities. hope this helps.
(Also if someone sees you with a deer and asks "where did you get it" always be sure to say in the woods over their. and point them the complete opposite way of your stand or towards the nearest vehical parking spot.)
Old 08-08-2007, 02:57 PM

do you guys use trail cameras on public land? i did before and was wandering if anyone else does.

what if the property you intend to hunt isnta thousand acres, what if its 200 acres. you cant trek 10 miles into the bush, but you know deer are around? can deer be killed close to trails, logging roads, bike paths, etc? where i am going to hunt is not that large, but i saw alot of deer sign last year and a few deer. but i jus dont like the idea of being 45 yards off the main trail ya know, but i did see deer sign, so im guessing deer must be around. does anyone hunt small parcels of public land with success?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 PM

Use a climbing stand. Then get in the woods before anyone else and go farther than they go.Then sit and wait for the deer to be pushed on top of you. This will work if you do yourhomeworkon the hunters and scouting for where the deer want to be and where they go to escape the pressure.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Essential tools:

1) Good boots
2) Change of clothing so you'll be in fresh clothes from the long hike in
3) GPS
4) Access to a place it takes a boat to cross is ideal
5) * game/deer cart *
6) Light hang-on and Cranford screw-in steps or light climber
7) Meal replacement bars and water bottles (hey, if you go to all that trouble to get that far back, you might as well stay put all day)
8) NEVER EVER talk about your spot you've got -- even to "close" friends. The only person I've taken in to my spot lives in Pennsylvania Now I'll share a casual hunt with friends for the sake of comaraderie, but it won't be in my good spots.
9) Extensively use sights like Windows Local Live and Google Earth, as well as topo maps from the Forestry Service to pinpoint funnels and likely spots to hang up in

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Philg

Use a climbing stand. Then get in the woods before anyone else and go farther than they go.Then sit and wait for the deer to be pushed on top of you. This will work if you do yourhomeworkon the hunters and scouting for where the deer want to be and where they go to escape the pressure.
The opposite also can be true here... I have a few spots that are only 100-300 yards from the truck...(great for those evenings when you only have a couple hours...) If everyone wants to go far let em, You don't need to walk far necessarily to see deer.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

One trick I have learned on Public land is to break it down. When I hunt I take 100-150 acre sections and master that area. I have setups for all the wind directions. I learn where to walk and where not to walk. I learn there travle routes, bedding area, etc.

Right now I have 4 big woodlots I hunt in Northern MI. In each of those 4 I have 2 to 3 sections I hunt and know.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

geterdun2

titleAndStar(212,0,false,false,"","")
Rack Buck

[align=center][/align]
do you guys use trail cameras on public land? i did before and was wandering if anyone else does.

what if the property you intend to hunt isnta thousand acres, what if its 200 acres. you cant trek 10 miles into the bush, but you know deer are around? can deer be killed close to trails, logging roads, bike paths, etc? where i am going to hunt is not that large, but i saw alot of deer sign last year and a few deer. but i jus dont like the idea of being 45 yards off the main trail ya know, but i did see deer sign, so im guessing deer must be around. does anyone hunt small parcels of public land with success? Hunt early in the season and look for the less noticed and hunted areas. I hunt on chunck that is only 40 acres and gets presured by about a dozen people for bow season or more alot. About 30 acres is lowland and the rest is pines. Everyone hunts the woods. I go in the far back corner on the lowland/pine edge and see deer in bow range regularly. This spot only is good for the first 2 weeks then they are turn nocturnal. But like you were saying about trails this spot is 100 yards from the parking area and only 50 yards of the main hiway. I can watch cars from my treestand. Sometimes the unlikely spots are very effeciant. also its right by the border to a little highland of about 8 acres of private that most of the deer come from to cross the corner of the public and then go across the hiway to the private corn field. Just study the deer and what they do to avoid the people and you will find them. Deer also know where they are safe and pivate to public property lines are good places to look to see where deer are traveling to and from especially when they get bumped.