Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone use fake apples? >

Anyone use fake apples?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone use fake apples?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone use fake apples?

It works w/ geese... I put out fake corn and they like it...

I think it might work for deer... but I'd feel silly

Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We laugh....but we use fake: Deer (doe and buck); urine (doe and buck); cover scent; mock scrapes; mock rubs and I've even heard of people suggesting putting fake hunters in stands so as not to educate the herd.

Next thing is we're gonna have someone paint a pond on a sheet of plastic....and draw 'em in for a drink.

Nothing surprises me, anymore.
I have killed Bucks off of Mock Scrapes and Rubs and wouldn't think of using anything but real Saliva, Doe or Buck Pee, or wax dug out of the interdigital gland from in-betweenthe hooves. Once a Mock Scrape is taken over, it is sure enough a real Scrape. They have a time and place for those that know how and when to use them!
I do have a hard time seeing myself shooting a Buck hunching a tree with a picture of a Does Butt strapped to it, or eating a basket full of foam apples.
Your right nothing surprises me any more!
Oh, almost forgot, I never put a fake hunter in a stand befor, butI hang a freshly worn T-shirt at my Bear Baits to get them use to my smell if the wind shifts when Im hunting it, Does it work? I dont know for sure, but it makes me feel better

Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM

while we are on this subject, i have a question. i know its illegal most places to "bait", but im sure some people throw out an apple or two, or a little pile of corn...? or am i totally out of line. i have never done it (have hunted private land most of the last 4 years), but i dont have access to private land so public land is it for me this year (atleast as of now) i was thinking of jus throwing a few apples out or a little bit of corn, but i dont know how it would make me feel after doing so. like redlion said, what if i take apples to eat lol and "drop" some or cant finish them, would i be completely wrong and a moral devil [:@], or would it not be that big a deal . in my eyes its not that big of a deal, but i dont know so i would like some other opinions. i always follow all rules and ethical codes, but this i have been pondering for a while.what do you think? does anyone throw out just a little (you can tell me i wont call the DNR lol). i jus want to get a feel for if anyone else does it (not that it makes it right) but im jus curious. thanks alot
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 PM

PS - didnt mean to steal the post, just thought it was in the same ballpark, thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Throwing an apple or two, or a hand full of corn won't change the deers habits (attract them).

What it might do is slow them down a tad as they arewalking/feeding past your stand.

It is a one shot hit or miss deal.

That's why the apples hanging in the sack work so well. It is sort of like a poor mans scent dripper and it is working 24/7 in your favor.

It will change a deers behavior .

And you can take advantage of that.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I put out some of those fake apples with the apple scent on them and a plastic Flambeau Decoy walked up and ate them all! [:@]
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Check your local laws with the right people. Sometimes using scents or attractants is considered baiting. You can bait for anything BUT bear in WA state. I know of guides who will put out a "deer" bait and hunt for bear 50 yards up trail. I wouldn't want to get caught in that situation.

I also know somebody who had an actual deer bait out and a bear came into it. TWANG!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:40 PM
OGW

Some of you guys laugh...but I know a guy who has had success using those fake ears of corn made from plastic. He put's them out in a small pile after a cornfield has been cut and deer go right to it when they walk into the field.
Corn Decoys
Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM

I know in MN the dnr in getting real tight on bait deer. Last yr they went out and found
baiting before season and gsped all of the places. During season they showed up at the
deer stands and busted the people. I put out some c'mere deer right now by my trail cameras
to see what is still around the area. You can't feed or bait 2 weeks before season or during
season. I still have a month to go.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We laugh....but we use fake: Deer (doe and buck); urine (doe and buck); cover scent; mock scrapes; mock rubs and I've even heard of people suggesting putting fake hunters in stands so as not to educate the herd.

Next thing is we're gonna have someone paint a pond on a sheet of plastic....and draw 'em in for a drink.

Nothing surprises me, anymore.
That fake hunter thing could actually work...

Quick Reply: Anyone use fake apples?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.