Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ANOTHER BH thread... >

ANOTHER BH thread...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ANOTHER BH thread...

Old 08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ANOTHER BH thread...

ORIGINAL: DannyD

hey GMMAT,

Well, I can tell you I am fairly new to bowhunting and have purchased 6 Magnus Stingers. 3 (50%) are being used as practice heads. 1 (16.67%) went through a deer. I have 2 more (33.33%) still unused and will be hunted with this season.
Does that mean you willonly becarrying 2 arrows with you to hunt?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Me, personally.....I've bought 6 Montecs....and sold 5 of them......never sending one AT a deer.

Probably 12 Spitfires......sending them AT turkeys on 4 occasions.....connecting once. Lost 1......replaced the blades on the misses.....and I have penty to hunt birds with net year and likely for years to come.

I've bought 9 Muzzy 125gr's......and I've taken 5 whitetails with them.....and I haven't lost one, yet. I bought 18 sets of replacement blades and I'm good for at least this and probably next season.

So add 'em up........27 heads.......6 animals (and counting). pretty good business to be in, I guess!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used several broadheads over the years. Some are no longer in production.

I wishI kept better records but here is what I've used

1st BH was a Satelite. I don't recall the actual name, but it was yellow. Got my first bowkill with that head.

Next was a Wasp Cam-lok. Killed 2 or 3 deer with that head.

125 gr. Thunderheads were next. Killed about 6 deer with them.

Then my first mechanical. A Punchcutter 65gr. I like these heads. Took about 15 deer with them. Never had one go more than 60yds after getting hit with them. They would penetrate shoulder blades if you were with in 10 yds on quartering toward shots.

Switched to Rocket Miniblaster 3L's. These heads were good for one shot only because blades would twist or break but they sure did kill deer. Left big holes too. I'm not sure how many I've killed with them but I'd guess about 20 at least. Shot through a few shoulder blades on young deer at very close range. I really liked how they performed but it gotold constantly taking apart heads to salvage good blades to make one good head at the end of the season.

I then switched to Wasp 75gr. Jak-Hammers. Took 4 or 5 deer with this head. It was good and sturdy compared to the Rockets. Left a big hole. Didn't always get passthroughs though.

Next were 75 gr. Muzzys. Took 4 deer with them. Always got complete pass throughs with them.

Current head is Rocket Ultimate Steel 100gr. They fly good but have a small cutting radious. I haven't taken anything with them. I did have two heads mysteriously lose a blade while being carried in the hip quiver. I don't like that. Blades shouldn't just fall out.

I'm looking seriously at the Slick tricks right now.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:46 PM

It seems like time stops while my arrow is in the air on it's way to the deer. Its an unexplainable feeling.

My BH to deer ratio probably doesn't look too good. I've used the same broadhead on three different animals in the same season.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread made me laugh because over the weekend I was organizing my hunting shed and came across at least 3-4 dozen old broadheads of all shapes and sizes. Needless to say most of them didn't do anything but kill time, with me. I remember when I firsted started bowhunting and noone else in my family bowhunted. My dad used to joke me and say "There ain't much difference between hunting and sittin in the woods lookin stupid." He eventually started bowhunting with me and got his first bowkill before me, I was hunting that day too,now that I think about it, I was probably just sittin in the woods lookin stupid.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: DannyD

hey GMMAT,

Well, I can tell you I am fairly new to bowhunting and have purchased 6 Magnus Stingers. 3 (50%) are being used as practice heads. 1 (16.67%) went through a deer. I have 2 more (33.33%) still unused and will be hunted with this season.
Does that mean you willonly becarrying 2 arrows with you to hunt?

No, but those are the exact specs on what I currently own. Didn't want to skew the numbers with what I may purchase in the future.
Actually another3 will be purchased prior to the mid October opener
Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

What happens to them all???

(OK....BigJ stays up late and redistributes a few....but what about the rest?)
LOL!!

I think I even have a few of them old2 blade Spitfires somewherelaying around that have never seen a deer.....or a target....or even screwed onto an arrow for that matter!

Hmmmm.....Sounds like another Late Night Giveaway item.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

So what about the Rage heads, what has everyone heard about them....[:@][&:]

Those posts are getting redundant.

I bought 6 90gr Muzzy 4blades last year, 1 found a deer, 1 found a groundhog, the rest are sitting in my archery box and one was lost.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Shoot 90 gr Muzzys last year borrowed a couple used ones off my brother every deer i shot and hit they passed threw so out of six bh 5 went threw deer the other went into stump
Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

2) I’d like to know how many (%-age) of BH’s actually touch an animal’s hide. I’m betting you it’s ASTRONOMICALLY low (how many BH’s a person has bought vs. animals killed with them).

Don't ya think it would be funny to know how many actually are even hunted with/see the woods?
Well Jeff, I got 6 G5 Montecs in the late fall of 2005. This past season, on the last day, one of them (I don't know exactly which one) arrowed the 20th deer I have taken with them. I still have all six, and all have killed at least one deer. Assuming I don't hit any rocks or lose one, I'll still be shooting them next fall!

Quick Reply: ANOTHER BH thread...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.