Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers? >

Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tricks that you use when field judging whitetails?

Outside the ears spread is a really good indicator that is easily checked in a hurry. Of course, I think most of us just automatically realize when it is a truly large deer or not. Of the big bucks I have shot, I never had to "field measure" them. I just said "HOLY SHART THAT ISA GOOD BUCK!" If I have to take the time to "measure" them, then they aren't big enough to shoot.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree huntingson..My measurements are

1) deer
2) Buck
3) Nice Buck
4) Holy SH!t

If the first words are #4 he's a shooter, #3 I reach for the bow and look closer..anything less I watch and gain EXPERIENCE.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I agree huntingson..My measurements are

1) deer
2) Buck
3) Nice Buck
4) Holy SH!t

If the first words are #4 he's a shooter, #3 I reach for the bow and look closer..anything less I watch and gain EXPERIENCE.
Hey, that's my method too. We must've read the same book.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Justlike Bear hunting, If you have to take time and make up your mind if hes big enough, Then its probably Not. When a real shooter comes in you know it.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, i pretty much know right away if im shooting, but the question is a good way to field estimate deer on the hoof. I for one could care less what my deer score, but its nice to know and if time permits, i like to look add them up just out of curiosity. Adding 3 tines, doubleing it and adding that number to 8 takes shorter for me to do than it did to write this sentence.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Adding 3 tines, doubleing it and adding that number to 8 takes shorter for me to do than it did to write this sentence.
huh?[8D] I's confounded!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

As I have said all along in the thread I use these tactics while glassing in the summer, looking at cams and video footage. I don't even know what a couple of these posts are all about..... Who the heck is talking about fawns and does???? Not me.... Let's get back on topic.... BIG BUCKS

GMMAT

I do not add them up in the treestand unless it isyoung buck who is gettinga free pass. A buck has to have a certain size to him to perk my interest..... My philosophy is if you don't know he is a "shooter" soon as you get a good look at him he isn't. If you have to add him up while hunting he isn't big enough....

[/align]
Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I do not add them up in the treestand unless it isyoung buck who is gettinga free pass. A buck has to have a certain size to him to perk my interest..... My philosophy is if you don't know he is a "shooter" soon as you get a good look at him he isn't. If you have to add him up while hunting he isn't big enough....
That makes sense, scott. I was wondering if some people actually added 'em up before deciding to shoot....lol.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I break them down (video,cam pix) a lot like Gregh does. On the hoof while hunting, I usually just know, if I question it, it usually always means he is young.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fetzeriiif

ORIGINAL: early in

That's easy, if he's not bigger than this he walks.

Once again, you used improper sentence structure. This is fun. Get the picture?[:@]
I sure do, you're a moron. Stop acting like the kids you teach. I think you're jealous of my minimumbuck size.

Quick Reply: Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.