Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guide Use

Old 08-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Guide Use

Reading all of the replies from the "Big Name Guy's" thread, I hear the use of a guide mentioned, as if it's "cheating" of something. I think there is a Major misconception of at least some guides. People make it sound as if youare guaranteed to kill something because everything has been done for you,that's just not the case. Ithink what you're hunting playsthe biggest role in your success, as well as patience.Some animals are harder than others to access/kill. In other words, a herd animal will be easier than, let's say a solitary maturewhitetail buck, or a mountain goatto kill.
Another thing people need to realize is, if you're a non resident, you must have a guide/outfitter to hunt almost anywhere in Canada. Now, how would Ihave a chance to "scout" in Canada or any other out of state area. Also,how would I aquire permission to hunt these AWESOME farms that my guide gets me on? It wouldn't happen, so again here is where the guide comes in. In Alberta, my guide tells me what area tohunt, that's about it. I'm the one sitting in a treestand 12 hrs a day!Oh yea, he feeds and houses me for the week also. I respect the job a guide does, some are better than others but often they are a must. Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guide Use

i agree completely with you. there is a big diffrence between someone putting an animal on a silver platter and someone droppingyou off and saying "i have seen a lot of good bucks/bulls/billys ect. in here. best of luck, see you in 12 hours"
Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think guides/outfitters are essential for certain areas and certain game animals. I am sure they can make the hunting as easy or as difficult as you would like it to be within reason. Can you imagine if there were no guides/outfitters?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's also the difference between a special, occassional hunt, and the sum total of all your hunts. Personally I think there's a little envy involved too in these complaints. I think, for the most part, the best thing a guide can do is give you access to prime land and feed and house you. Very few do more than that. If I hunted out of their stands I'd probably be hunting a burned out area.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:36 PM

I was one of the posters that replied to the "big named hunters" post. I talked alot about the tv hunters use of guides. I also mentioned that there is deffinately a time and a place for using a guide. Those being distance hunts, outfitter tag requirements, new hunters, time restraints, or just wanting to increase your chances. I also realize that the amount of the hunt that is done for you is different for each guide. Some may point you in the right directions, while others hold it for you while you take a leak. I think hunters should feel free to hunt how they choose or with who they choose with out fear of riddicule.

With that said, If I have two freinds that go on two separate hunting trips after the same species. One does it completely on his own, while the other uses a guide that provides access to his leased land and tells the hunter where he thinks the best spots to hunt would be(everything else he is on his own). If they both came back with an animal, but the one that was semi guided was of greater "trophy" status, I would be more impressed with the hunter that did it all on his own. I also believe their personal satisfaction is probably greater when they do it on thier own.

Here's an example. Last year my father and father inlaw both drew bear tags. My father hired a guide as he was 4 hours from where he had a tag. It also took him8 years to draw his tag so he wanted to increase his chances of harvesting a bear. My father inlaw did all of the scouting and baiting on his own, as the area was much closer to him. Both harvested bears that were close in size. While I was very proud of both of them, I think of my father inlaws bear as a true trophy as he did it all on his own.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM

I think the main thing in the "big names" thread was that guides tend to "almost" put the animal of interest on a silver platter for clients that have the "big name" or they at least go out of their way a little more to make sure that the "big names" have a successful hunt.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think its cheating. I understand the reasons people use them and I don't have any problem with it. If a guy hunts with a guide 90% of the timethan acts like a know it all...that kinda bugs me alittle bit.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

fetzer,

And had your father in-law not taken a bear. What then?

Guides to me are nothing more than another resource- a tool if you will. No different than a dog hunting pheasant. No different than a lure at the end of a fishing pole. No different than a pile of corn outside a blind.They are the truck thathauls myarse from Colorado to Kansas-it/they/them put me a little closer to my prey. Could I kill animals with my teeth? Sure, but it could be rather difficult I imagine. Therefore I use a weapon that flings a projectile (sheez, another tool). Does it make hunting easier? Maybe. Does it make hunting more fun. Maybe. A lot depends on the time, the place, and the species involved. Wouldn't you agree? Because Iuse these tools I am still not assured a kill...right?

I believe the part everyone is missing revolves around having fun. I personally, have killed many animals solo, but I enjoy sharing the chase with others. Not always but sometimes those "others" turn out to be guides. In this land of opportunity, am I not entitled to have fun? And if I do,should my accomplishment be degraded? Apparently so...Wow, that blows. I thought I was doing well up to this point.

We all establish what "degree of difficulty" we'll applywhile hunting. Moreover, ever hunt is and should be different (see above). That's what keeps us going back into the woods. In the end, we all go out of our way to have fun (at least I think so. A show of hands please. Who does not have fun while hunting?)!What's fun for me more than likely isn't your idea of fun and vise versa. But that's ok... I promise! Be your own critic. It's easy to measure yourself. It'simpossible to measure others-you haven't walk enough steps in their shoes.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 PM

Early in asked a question. I told how I felt. I did not critisize anyone. I told that I understood the need for guides. All that Isaid was that I am more impressed by someone that achieves the same success without one. Whether you like it or not that is how I feel. I myself would even use a guide if were to go bear hunting in canada. If I did not my chances would be slim that I could find a good spot, get my bait placed, and have bear hitting it in the limmited time I would have available. With that said, would I have the same satisfaction doing it with I guide as I would if I were to go up with enough time and do it on my own? No way. I could say the same thing for a trip hunting elk, mule deer, antelope, sheep, etc. I might use a guide in many situations, and in every one of those situations I would be very excited and feel great pride in harvesting an animal. Does that mean I would not feel even more satisfaction if I were to do i entirely on my own, quite the opposite. I hunt riffle, muzzleloader, bow etc. Is it wrong of me to feel a greater sense of accomplishment in shooting a deer with my bow. According to you I should be ashaimed of myself for feeling this way. Is it wrong of me to be more impressed by the bear that my father in law got without a guide than the one my father shot with one? I am very happy for both of them but more impressed by all the work that went into shooting one without a guide. To be honest Iam pretty suremy dad feels the same way. He has come with me baiting a few times this year and he really enjoyed enjoyed it. I could also sense that he felt a little regret that he had not done this for his bear. You asked what if my dad had got one and my father inlaw had not. I would have been proud of my dad, and very proud of my father in law for trying it on his own. Like it or not thats just the way it is. I can't help that that is how I feel any more than you can think I'm an A*^ forfeelingit.
In the long run It shouldn't matter what I or anyone else thinks anyway. If a guided hunt is what they want or If they want to risk it alone, good luck to both of them.

Iamyourhuckleberry,
Question for you. Who should I ask for bear hunting advice, my dad or my father in law? Yeah, thats what I thought.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fetzeriiif

Iamyourhuckleberry,
Question for you. Who should I ask for bear hunting advice, my dad or my father in law? Yeah, thats what I thought.
I am not huckleberry but I thought I would cast the answer in another light. If your dad spent the evenings talking to the guide about bear hunting he very well could have learned a great deal more than your FIL. He could have learned many inside tips and secrets that were learned from 100's of bear hunts the guide set up. You FIL has experience with 1 bear hunt. Your dad could have picked the brains of a guide with the experience of 100's of bear hunts. Who would learn more then?

Quick Reply: Guide Use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.