Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guide Use

Old 08-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guide Use

To me a guide would not just take me to a place, set me up on an animal so I could kill it. He would be a source of incredible knowledge that, in the evenings while not hunting, I would ask many questions and try and learn as much as possible. A guided hunt would be a chance to increase my knowledge, not just take game. I have never been on a guided hunt and maybe guides do not want to tell tips and secrets, I don't know, but I would think they would be more than happy to share their knowledge with a fellow hunter and hunting enthusiast.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 PM

As a teacher, I can say an hour of hands on experience will teach most students more than weeks of lecture. That doesn't even take into effect all of the how to articles, books, and videos that my FILused whilelearning how to do it on his own. While my dad may have done some of the same,he never had to put it into practice. So while both of them may be helpful, who should I ask advice from about anything prior to the point of kill?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:08 PM

To be fair, I can see how more could be learned from a guided hunt then from from an unresearched shot in the dark hunt on one's own.It would not matter whether or not either was successful. I dorealize how knowledgable a good guide is and that a lot can be learned from one.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fetzeriiif

To be fair, I can see how more could be learned from a guided hunt then from from an unresearched shot in the dark hunt on ones, ownwhether or not either was successful. I do realize how knowledgable a good guide is and that alot can be learned from one.
You're a teacher? That's scary!Read your post again, it reeks mistakes.[:@]I do agree though.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:36 PM

I teach Technology and Math, not English. I am also of the belief that spelling and grammar are not that important in non-professional related e-mails and web forums. Therefore, I didn't see the need to write a rough draft and correct my run-ons. I am sorry that I offended you.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fetzeriiif

I teach Technology and Math, not English. I am also of the belief that spelling and grammer are not that important in non-professional related e-mails and web forums. Therefore, I didn't see the need to write a rough draft and correct my run-ons. I am sorry that I offended you.
You didn't offend me, butspelling and grammar, not grammer, are always important, it says alot about a person. I'm embarrassed for you.[&o]I climb trees for a living, does that give me the green light tosound like a 6th grader? I'm just messing with you. That's another reason I like HNI.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fetzer,

First off, let me say, my question was in no way an attack on you.I apologize.I just wanted to know, hypothetically speaking andif allthings were the same with the exception of your FIL not shooting a bear, how you wouldfeel. Thank you for your answer.

You stated: "With that said, would I have the same satisfaction doing it with I guide as I would if I were to go up with enough time and do it on my own? No way."

I'm curious, Why? I mean, I've been on plenty of guided hunts where both guide and hunter worked together to acheive a successful outcome. It was a symbiotic relationship-if you will. Input was put forthand analyzed by both individuals.A plan was devised and executed and both parties were responsible for the outcome (one did not over shadow the other). I have also been on hunts in Canada where my guide was nothing more than extra luggage. I killed my moose and bear while wiping his nose the entire trip. To this day I still feel great satisfaction-despite the fact that it was guided. I killed a moose and a bear while spot and stalking. I had a total goof in tow the entire trip-pretty cool, eh!

"Is it wrong of me to feel a greater sense of accomplishment in shooting a deer with my bow."

The answer: not just no but HECK NO! You should feel elated! You have added a degree of difficulty to your hunt and were successful. If you were to do it with another person (a guide for example), I'd say even better. It's harder for two people to beat the nose, ears and eyes of a monarch. Would it be fair of me to say your accomplishment was anything less than great had you used a gun, muzzleloader, guide and not a knife?
Again, HECK NO!

"Is it wrong of me to be more impressed by the bear that my father in law got without a guide than the one my father shot with one?"

That's a question I cannot answer for you. You will have to do that yourself. I would have been equally impressed and would enjoy the tales told by both men. I'm sure there were plenty.

"I could also sense that he felt a little regret that he had not done this for his bear."

Ten bucks says he's beyond the learning curve now. Then, he didn't do his homework. Now, it won't be long before he adds his own degree of difficulty (unguided)-at least it sounds that way to me.

"Who should I ask for bear hunting advice, my dad or my father in law?"

That would depend on what advise you want to know. I bet your father in law hasn't a clue which guide serviceto use for bear hunting! I think your father has seen enough to be a fairly proficient bear hunter. One bear doesn't make either an expert. If the guide did his job, he's passed onto your father a well of information. I'd probably listen to both.

One more question from me. Have you ever been on a guided hunt? PM me your response.

I wish you the very best!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

You didn't offend me, butspelling and grammar, not grammer, are always important, it says alot about a person. I'm embarrassed for you.[&o]I climb trees for a living, does that give me the green light tosound like a 6th grader? I'm just messing with you. That's another reason I like HNI.
The grammAR Nazi has now spoken. Your kids must really enjoy having you review their homework. By the way, it is "a lot" not "alot". Practice what you preach.