Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish? >

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Good post Bigj12, I think that is pretty much it with one minor exception.

When someone makes you an offer regarding anything, you have more choices than to accept or decline. You can make a counter offer and that may be, in effect, what the "guests" were doing in GMMAT's case

I apologize for the proliferation of posts that I have had on this thread and now will respectfully bow out (barring further interjection by others directed at me)
Take care and good hunting all
hb
Old 08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Good post Bigj12, I think that is pretty much it with one minor exception.

When someone makes you an offer regarding anything, you have more choices than to accept or decline. You can make a counter offer and that may be, in effect, what the "guests" were doing in GMMAT's case

I apologize for the proliferation of posts that I have had on this thread and now will respectfully bow out (barring further interjection by others directed at me)
Take care and good hunting all
hb
Hillbilly,

I guess it all depends on how it was asked. As I understand it GMMAT made it clear that they were only to shoot does, there's no "counter offer" to something as clear as that. If someone tells me does only I know where that person stands and I will accept or decline based on that offer. In my case I would graciously decline as I would not like restrictions put on my hunt just as I would not restrict those who hunt with me.

Now if GMMAT just asked them to "come out and shoot does" then I think it's perfectly reasonable for something like the buck comment to be made because the ground rules weren't clearly laid out from the start.

Again, I think a lesson was learned about knowing the people you hunt with and only hunting with the people you know and trust.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do any of you think that the guys that whacked the fifteen biggest bucks last year left home with that in mind??????????????????

No I'm only gonna shoot a doe......[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-]
Old 08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

jim - did they go after being asked to only shoot does? I don't understand the arguement. Plainly he asked them to only shoot does, if they can't abide by it, then they shouldn't go. I watched a Drury video where the guy was allowed to shoot any deer but a 180" 8 pointer, well guess what.... 8pointer walked right under his stand stood at 18 yards and was videod for 10 min, the man had the integrity to not shoot that buck. It would have been his biggest ever. That is the line that decides what kind of man you are.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

jim - did they go after being asked to only shoot does? I don't understand the arguement. Plainly he asked them to only shoot does, if they can't abide by it, then they shouldn't go. I watched a Drury video where the guy was allowed to shoot any deer but a 180" 8 pointer, well guess what.... 8pointer walked right under his stand stood at 18 yards and was videod for 10 min, the man had the integrity to not shoot that buck. It would have been his biggest ever. That is the line that decides what kind of man you are.
Thats cause it could not get out of the fence.............[]
Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't argue your point. But if Jeff invited me to hunt his land for does only, I have at least 3 doe tags, guess how many I am gonna shoot? Provided Jeff helps drag..... Even if the next world record walks by.... I might draw just to see if I could do it without shakin all to pieces, but it would walk.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Nah, the're the ones being selfish. Here you go & invite them to "thin the herd" by shooting does. What part of thin the herd don't they understand. If you wanted them to shoot anything, u'd invite them to hunt your property. No you're not in the wrong. I would respect request if it's known upfront about shooting does only. Besides they taste better, & u can't eat the antlers.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

I can't argue your point. But if Jeff invited me to hunt his land for does only, I have at least 3 doe tags, guess how many I am gonna shoot? Provided Jeff helps drag..... Even if the next world record walks by.... I might draw just to see if I could do it without shakin all to pieces, but it would walk.
I got twenty says your lying like red haired adoped kid with Ho Ho's on his breath..............
Old 08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Dominant Buck

As I remember the property you hunt isn't that big. I really don't think you'd have a hard time whacking some does all by your lonely. That said, if they can't come and visit for just a doe hunt then leave them out.They have to be ready to abide by the rules or the landlord. And if you're not the landlord, well they have to abide by his agents rules. To be honest, they've shown their true colors already. I wouldn't trust them. They might go behind your back and get permission from the landowner all by themselves. Choose your friends more wisely.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

NY,

If you would abide by the same rules as you ask other to, all while on your land, then that may be the difference.
I see what you're saying. I misunderstood the first time you asked me. You're saying that I should abide by the same rules I set forth for the people I invited to my land? I guess that does put a little different perspective on it.

But, I still see it as I'm the one inviting people to MY land to hunt with stipulations. Kind of like giving them an opportunity if they choose to want to come out and shoot some does. If they choose not too than so be it, I still offered them a chance to put meat in the freezer if they were intersted.

Still seems like a no brainer to me. As long as the rules talked about and decided on ahead of time. I guess it's all in how you present it. It almost has to be black and white. "You guys want to come to my land and take a few does (AND ONLY DOES)....... yes or no?"

Quick Reply: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.