Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Name guys... >

Big Name guys...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Name guys...

Old 08-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Big Name guys...

I think the way the professionals hunt, is lot different than they way I and anybody else I know hunts. Honestly, I dont think they would much advice to offer. I think alot of the professionals would feel awkward on the this site, since they would probably learn more, than they could actually ever teach anyone. Idon'tvisit the archers choice forum verymuch because of this. Not thatI have anything against them, I would more than likely make of living off of hunting IfI could too. However; whenit comes to advice,the professionals probably havemuch less to offer as compared toother people on this site.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Be honest. If you were a "big name guy", would you be on here? Sure, if you loved to defend yourself at every turn. Trust me, these folks get tired of being bashed for doing "this wrong" and "that wrong", "hunting here" and not "there"..."this way" and not "that way". It gets old fast! It's too hard to please everyone!
This couldn't have been put more accurately. Don Higgins is a PERFECT example!
Old 08-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

It can be tough at times, but I try to come here every day to see what the little people and Atlas have to say. [8D] And just so you know there is no favoritism involved, ....... even I have been chastised at times.[&:][8D]
Old 08-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave Watson used to come here years ago.He would be right in the midst of things. After a while HNI gave him his own forumuntill he moved on to his very own forum away from HNI.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

What RICK????? NO comment to my first smart aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaask reply? LOL
Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Dave Watson used to come here years ago.He would be right in the midst of things. After a while HNI gave him his own forumuntill he moved on to his very own forum away from HNI.
Yeah, I remember that. I thought he left because people were complaining about his high fenced hunting.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

However; whenit comes to advice,the professionals probably havemuch less to offer as compared toother people on this site.
GB, that's a pretty big generalization don't you think? Are you telling me you couldn't learnanything from Craig Boddington, Jim Zumbo, Chuck Adams, Jim Shockey, Gary Bogner, Cindy Garrision? These folks have forgotten hunts you and I will only dream of.

I remember a while back when Dave Watson waslambasted for killing a mt lion with the aid of hounds. The critics questioned whether or not this style of hunt was considered fair chase. After the episode, I sat down and talked to Dave (we chased elk together). The whole ordeal turned him off.

Yeah, these guys are just like you and me. They put their pants on one leg at a time. However, when we state our opinion it usually isn't life altering. They, on the other hand, lose their job/life/everything dear. Mr. Zumbo is a perfect explain of this (if you think the other big names weren't watching, your out of your mind)!

Yeah, it sucks to have a big name! I would ratherhunt and have fun!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are things one could definately learn from some of the "Big Names", but not near all. Many "big name" hunters are that because they've been succesful (at least temporarily) at selling themselves. Most are probably great marketers. Few are probably great hunters. Some probably couldn't kill a rabbit on their own anymore. I think there was more expertise in the old days with Jack O'conner and Lee Wolfe, etc. Now anybody with a camera and a corn pile can be a "big name" There are exceptions of course.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been to a few shows and spoke with a few of the pros about hunting at my club. Some of them are very sharp and know their stuff. Other are not so. They basically want you to have all the work done for them when they arrive. Climb up the tree and have a 140 inch plus deer on the ground within 3 days. Thats not hunting but that is the way they make their living so I wont knock it. It is a very time consuming and stressful career. They hunt all the time during season and in the off season most of them are traveling and doing shows for their sponsors. Probably why we don't hear much from them on forums. Take a 190 inch set of sheds where the pros are and they will give you a couple minutes of their time.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

GB, that's a pretty big generalization don't you think? Are you telling me you couldn't learnanything from Craig Boddington, Jim Zumbo, Chuck Adams, Jim Shockey, Gary Bogner, Cindy Garrision? These folks have forgotten hunts you and I will only dream of.
I don't really think so, in my particular case anyway. Most of the Professionals of today, hunt with a guide 90% of the time ontheir tv shows. The truth is anyone could do that. These people probably haven't had to do anything for themselves since they became famous. I honestly believe; you, me or most of todays hunters could do just as well hunting with outfitters. Don't get me wrong I would love to go on a hunt with Jim Shockey and I believe he is the best at what he does. However, Shockey's hunting isnt the type of hunting I will ever probably experience. Hunting Moose, caribou, or black bears in Canada aren't things I will probably ever have the fundsto go after. Jim, Boddington, Cindy Garrison, etc.. Hunt alot in africa too. No doubt they could tell me something about Africa, but I don't have any interest in hunting Africa either. Now, if I was to talk to professionals about traveling to hunting locations, I would be all ears. As for deer, waterfowl, upland, and predatro hunting; I would rather listen to the experienced average joe.Mainly, because the average joe earns his success.

Quick Reply: Big Name guys...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.