Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Name guys... >

Big Name guys...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Name guys...

Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Big Name guys...

Curt, thanks for taking the time to register and put those thoughts into writing. I for one hope you stick around, but because of some of the things cited earlier in the thread, would certainly understand if you don't see a lot of you.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, Curt.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Curt it was indeed explained very well, and excuse my ignorance as I don't watch to may hunting dvd's, but are you one of these "Big Named" Hunters? Whats show, dvd, etc ?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Curt...are you the Curt Wells from Bowhunter?? If so that was what I was looking for, it just seems to me that there would be a few of you guysaround here!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 AM

Curt,
Thanks for your input. My comments were not meant to bash anyone. I realize that many of you have worked hard to get where you are, some maybe not. I also understand that there are legitamate reasons that most tv hunting is done the way that it is. I have no doubt that many guys, Miller, Shockey, etc. are extremely knowledgable. I just think that if I turn on the outdoor channel, which I garuanty I will,a large percentage of the people I will see were either big named fisherman that bought a hunting show or people that Ihad never heard of or read an article by, prior to seeing them on tv. Does that mean they aren't great hunters, No. But it leads me to believe they are more likely on the show because of the way they look, male or female, or because of their acting ability. I won't list shows or names, because I don't want to bash anyone.

As I said before, I love most of these shows. I don't care how they got on them, If the show is good, or sometimes not, I will watch it. I just think that, depending on how they got started, hunters that use guides for hunting every time have less credibility in giving advice than those that do the same thing but on their own.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Although..........a good guide would probably be a good teacher as well, so maybe I'm dead wrong.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Iamyourhuckleberry,Dan and Curt have all hit the nail on the head for me. Hunting is no different than any other endeavor in life.The world is not fair,you have to play the hand your dealt!
I know like most everyone here I want to be able to relate to the person,and the financial side of many hunting trips put's them beyond something I can relate to.The most important thing for me is whether the person is the real deal! This doesn't mean that they can't be wealthy,there is a lot right with being wealthy if someone's fortune was acquired in the right way.Are they passionate about hunting are they ethical,do they endure and persevere to be successful? Are they approachable and humble? These are the things that matter to me! As Dan has said keep a positive outlook,I will add to that and an open mind.
I want to thank Curt for his participation here,I have enjoyed your writing for quite a long time.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally feel sorry for professional hunters. Making your hobby your career can be a great way to sap all the joy from it. I'm not saying all of them don't enjoy their job or have some great moments but I wouldn't want my families future riding on whether I made a good shot on a deer or not. I wonder how many of the "big names" get to just relax and have a fun hunt with friends regardless of the outcome. Not to mention all the downsides to fame, like not getting to finish a meal in public without being interupted by a fan. I wouldn't want to be one, although atonetime I did, but I wouldn'tmind being a guest hunter with some and hearing the stories "Behind the stories".
Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Amen Huck. It gets old listening to people trying to bring another person down. It must be a miserable life when one can only find things that are wrong with fellow hunters and not focus on the positive.

If people would try to be a little more positive, thier life would be a whole lot better.
I never was bashing anyone and I don't think there is anything wrong with the p hunters. I like watching most hunting shows, but I never actuallywatch them expecting to learn anything... more so for the entertainment. But when It comes down to it, I dont have anymore respect forthem just because they have a their own hunting show. Its not thatI wouldn'ttalk to the p hunters, just that I would only actually listen to and take to heart, what afew have to say.