HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Are Whitetail Deer An Endangered Species? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/200597-whitetail-deer-endangered-species.html)

LouisianaTomkat 08-04-2007 01:30 PM

Are Whitetail Deer An Endangered Species?

Just curious. All the threads lately about QDM and such. Is there any chance that all the deer are going to be killed off? I don't keep up with statistics so I would not know. I do believe poaching or herd health must be a terrible problem in some places.We have a 6 deer per season limit here. Either 6 does or 3 does and 3 bucks. No antler restrictions except must be a legal buck.(antlers at least one inch thru the skin) Not trying to start an "A" thread. Just curious.

LT

Howler 08-04-2007 01:36 PM

RE: Are Whitetail Deer An Endangered Species?

If, and that isa BIG IF, deer ever come close to being in danger of becoming extinct, it won't be because of hunting, in fact, hunting will be what saves them. It will be disease that causes total distruction of the herds way before hunting, and once again, it's the hunters and the dollars they spend that will save them, just like in history!

StrutNtom 08-04-2007 01:37 PM

Any species can be killed off (except for the Fire Ants here in SC[:@][:@][:@][:@]), but thats another story for another time.

Humans have proven to be the most destructive of them all. We have killed off several other species of plants and animals.

The whitetail is one of the most adatable animals in the world, but even they have limits. If humans went on a wreckless killing spree and keep putting shopping malls and housing complexes on every acre of land, then yes. The whitetail can and will be killed off.

rankbull 08-04-2007 01:51 PM

Regulated hunting will never endanger a species

cartman308 08-04-2007 02:07 PM

The biggest bucks i have ever seen have been within city limits. Charleston WV has began an urban hunting program to try to thin the herd within city limits.

Hunting is not going to harm the whitetail population.........ever! Poaching won't do much harm either............ The numbers of whitetail are just to high right now for that to happen.

A disease on the otherhand could significantly impact whitetail numbers, to the point where hunting could be suspended and deer becoming engangered.

ChrisAU 08-04-2007 02:11 PM

According to wikipedia, the recent numbers have the U.S. deer population at around 30 million. That doesn't include Mexico and Canada. No, I don't think they are endangered;)

Chris_H 08-04-2007 02:12 PM

Deer are very overpopulated. Kinda like fireants here in my homestate of SC, strutNtom [8D]

Follower 08-07-2007 03:25 AM

Here in Idaho, Muleys are definately in danger of extinction, but the Whitetail population seems to be continuously increasing. Whitetails are just much more adaptable than muleys, more specifically, whitetails deal with people better, I think, than muleys. I am definately not a game biologist, but this appears to be the case.

wis_bow_huntr 08-07-2007 05:27 AM