Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range finders?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Range finders?

This will be my first season bowhunting, and I am without a range finder. I am just wondering how many of you, if any, don't use one while bowhunting? My ability to estimate distances is pretty good I believe, but I also believe that it will probably go from a 6 or 7 on a 0-10 scale to about a -34 when a big buck walks out in front of me. I am in college and don't really have any pennies left to pinch, but do I really need one?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range finders?

No just step off your yardage from your stand and remember where your marks are and correspond to whre the deer is standing.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:09 PM

yea i dont use one either...like buck master said just pace the distances off and remember that tree as 20,30,40etc yards and then you only have to judge ten yards at a time to like 24 or 18
Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont use them in the woods. i dont own one. funny how i can come within 25yds of a groundhog out to 300+ pretty easily and thats close enough for me...but when it comes to a 3d target in the woods within 50 i mess up and would miss...but after a couple shoots i been getting within a yard. the next shoot im shooting without a range finder. before id guess then range it then shoot it..saved me arrows lol. with some work ranging isnt overly hard. yes its a bit different once your 15-30 foot above the ground...i usually just figure out where 5yds is and keep multipling the distance...seems to work for me. my prehung stands i KNOW im hunting i will probably borrow a range finder and shoot some landmarks and write them down so i know...evening hunts i want to try and pace off 20yds or something so i know. definently dont need one. most my spots i cant see clearly enough to shoot past my top pin so it makes it easy...probably wont shoot past my top pin in the woods anyways..