Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I see it all slipping away....

Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I see it all slipping away....

Were you planning onnot taking advantage of Federal Employee's Health Benefits because you will be covered medically as a retired service man? I would think that you could probably hold off on the surgery until you get your new job, apply for FEHB, and let the insurance handle the cost of the surgery. You can probably change your election during open season (health benefit season, not deer season ) in the Nov-Dec timeframe if you really didn't want the benefits. As mentioned earlier, you could probably get a crossbow permit for this season if you wanted to. If you have a good opportunity to get into the govt now, who knows if you'll have the same opportunity later? I'm sure there's someone you can talk to regarding benefits that could help you figure out how to get the surgery paid for and not miss the opportunity. Anyway, good luck to you.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I see it all slipping away.... UPDATE.

Thanks for all of the input, guys.

I was sitting at home thinking about this last night, and I remembered a good friend of mine works at the Limited Duty desk at the Bureau of Naval Personnel. I called him, and I'm glad I did.

I found out that if I did have the surgery before I retired, they would probably NOT let me stay past my retirement date of 30 November. I would be temporarily unable to work and at the same time looking for a job. Not good.

As long as I get this documented in my medical record, I can still elect to have it repaired later, so the most intelligent thing to do seems to be to wait until I'm settled into the new job and then have the procedure done. The new job is a "cushy" GS-11 desk job, so I wouldn't be out too long, plus, I'll still get to hunt this year.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a plan, glad you've got it figured out. Where's the new job at?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The new job is literally just across the street here at Millington, TN at the Navy Manpower Analysis Center. I'm going to be here at least another 5 years until my youngest kid is out of school. Then I want to move..... maybe to the Cascade Mountains in Washington State.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:11 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

I'm sure you covered everything but just in case not. Disregarding the retirement (look at that in a bit), if you had the surgery now while active would you not get a minimum (at least 30 days) period of conv. leave (free leave vs. using what you have accrued) and at the same time collect a full military check?? Electing to wait then what is the situation(I'm not familiar with how the GS system works)? Would you have a period of conv.lv/sick that would be charged to you since youprobably won't have accrued many sick/lv. hrs. by then? As a GS would you fall under a workers comp. type situation where you only collect ??%of your pay?As for not letting you stay past your retire date?? Do you mean they'd boot you as soon as you hit your (RCP) date whether you are healed and released by the Dr. or are you saying you have ret. papers that take you past your date and that once recovered they'd want you out asap? I quess this is more questions than advise but some things I'd recommend folks to look at. I'm also looking atthe active duty situationfromthe Army side of the house and not the Navy. GS situation will all fall the same. Good Luck
Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have torn both of my rotator cuffs and the advice I have always received from the best surgeon I know, my father, is just to put up with the discomfort until I can't anymore and then have the surgery. It has been 6 years at this point and still no surgery. To draw your bow without hurting your shoulder keep your elbow down and at your side and pull it back that way. It doesn't strain the shoulder and has kept me bowhunting.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you may qualify for disabled hunters permit and use a crossbow. Id look into that, hope things work out well for you and thanks for your service.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I currently am contemplating the shoulder surgery as well, and so far, it is going to wait until after deer season. SOrry to hear about your other determining factors, best of luck with your decisions and circumstances.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, it seems strange to me that while it was drawing a bow that caused the injury, I can draw my bow with now discomfort at all. It's only when I raise my right arm over my head that I have a problem.

As to being able to use a crossbow like some have suggested, I wouldn't mind using one eventually if it comes to that, but here's a list of what I've done getting ready for this first season:

I've bought the following:

Mathews Drenalin
Viper H1000 5 pin sight
Convertable HD Dropaway rest
Tru Glo Stabilizer
Mathews Arrowweb quiver
Scott Sabretooth release
Tru-ball release (gave to a friend)
Nikon Rangefinder
ASAT 3D suit (thanks, Buckeye)
1 dozen Carbon Express arrows (gave to a friend)
1 dozen Gold Tip XT Hunters 5575's (gave to my son - too weak)
1 dozen Gold Tip Pro Hunter 7595's
Bitzenberger Jig
$80.00 worth of Feathers
$40.00 worth of Duravanes
Fletchtite Platinum glue
Goat Tuff Glue
G5 Squaring Device
Arrow Spinner
D Loop pliers
Serving thread (that stuff is expensive)
Summit Viper SS climber
Two Morrell bag targets
Two broadhead targets
Pre season Montecs
G-5 Montecs
Sharpening kit
Grim Reapers (discarded)
Grain scale

Add to all of that the fact that I've learned so much since February when I started. How to set up and tune my bow, how to build/fletch/tune my own arrows, what proper FOC percentage is and how best to achieve it,how to determine proper spine, the advantages of a heavier arrow, how kinetic energy and momentum affect penetration, and most importantly (to me) how to shoot accurately.

I've learnedother important things, like never press your fingers together whenyou have Goat Tuff on them,"spooning" takes on a whole newdimension when referring to Germ, never walk onto Bwanajim's property without his permission, and never try to get the best of Atlasman, GMMAT and a few select others ina debate thread.

I've invested a lot in this first season, and I'm not about to miss out on it. I'll take my chances with the VA if I have do, but to be honest, I'm not worried about it. I'm sure it'll all work out.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

LittleChief, Sorry to hear about your dillema there. That is a very tough chioce there.I have been very lucky and not hurt my shoulder YET! Knees are a different story. Almost missed last season because while going thru rehab a lot of little problems surfaced which is very rare. Ended up doing six months of rehab and finished two days before opening day. Congrats on retiring, I was medically retired after seven years. Always glad to hear from navy people. My nieces husband is currently serving his second tour in Iraq with the USMC. That is always fun when we are tigether. PM me and let me know what you did and where you were stationed. And definitly thank you for your sacrifices.

Quick Reply: I see it all slipping away....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.