Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody use one of those deer carts? >

Anybody use one of those deer carts?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody use one of those deer carts?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Anybody use one of those deer carts?

I have the ameristep and I love it. It folds up into a backpack and is so easy to put back together my 8 year old does it.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 AM

I remember laughing and saying "who in their right mind would use one of those things" a few years ago when I first saw an ad for one... then I had to drag out a 165lb deer 3/4 of a mile through an old logged area full of ruts...now I have one

Ken
Old 07-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use this one (Ameristep Grizzly)

It can be a little cumbersome to get the deer's center of gravity balanced right over the axels, but once you get him positioned nicely and tied in place, it's smooth sailing.

Like Bearklr said - these things are NOT good for going up steep hills, rocky areas, or through thickets. You almost need a semi-level area, like a field or a gas line or an old road bed.

One area I hunt is a legitimate 1.5 mile hike out a National Forest access road (gated shut). The road winds out across the ridge, crosses a couple small draws, but the cart rolls over it like you're pushing a shopping cart. What would normally be a 3+ hour sweatbath, miserable drag can be done in under 30 minutes with the cart - and you'll barely break sweat.

My only complaint is that when you get a full load on it, it tends to get a little top-heavy, and wants to flip over if you get it on a bind. That's really not a problem if you have the deer tied securely to the frame (I use my treestand safety harness and a ratchet strap).
Old 07-31-2007, 11:02 AM

I just made one today using some old wood I had laying around the shop an old wheelbarrow tire. I draped a couple nylon straps in between. We tried it out with one of my smaller employees and it worked perfectly.
Cost $0.00
Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use one when I hunt out west every year.It has been incredibly helpful.As others have said they can be a little squirrly,especially so on slopes and uneven ground.We drag until we get to a logging road and then we use the cart.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

i converted my climber that can change into a game cart. Works great when at the end of the day you don't feel like packing your climber out, convert it to the game cart and pull all your stuff out.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one I got from Cabelas for around $125. It works great as I hunt public land that is foot access, no ATVs ect. but the cart is legal. I also use it whenever needed. It's great & I use ladder stands so haul them into the woods on it. This is my 51st year of Bowhunting & I have carried, drug, STRUGGLED & everything else with my kills. The cart sure does help when I don't have a dumb young Bowhunter with me just chomping at the bit to show me how strong he is to get MY Deer (old man) out.
This was ME when I was that young & dumb bowhunter haulin one out in Colorado.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ahunter55,

I remember that picture. They used your pic in our hunter safety course.
It was during the shoot / don't shoot game, but you were just coming out of some brush. [8D]

I saw a deer loader this weekend that looked pretty cool. But it is for use with an ATV.
I don't need it since my land is private and I sling them on the back of the 4 wheeler.
But it also doubles as a gutting/skinning deal.

http://www.laguarddog.com/DEER%20LOADER.html

Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: ron3775

i converted my climber that can change into a game cart. Works great when at the end of the day you don't feel like packing your climber out, convert it to the game cart and pull all your stuff out.
How did you do that? I have an ameristep tubular steel climber that I was going to modify to a deer cart.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't even carry a drag rope as they have always been unlucky for me. If I have a drag I don't kill a deer. The Karma would be real bad if I took a cart in with me. Not that I don't kill one everytime I hit the woods.
My hunting bud won't even carry aknife. Says it's a jinx for him so he walks back to the truck when he needs one.
I actually don't mind dragging. It's like quality time spent with my kill. Slow and steady and enjoy a moment a little bit to rare
I did see one of the guys on TV trying to load a buck on a regular two wheel dolly.. Looked funny and did not work.

Quick Reply: Anybody use one of those deer carts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.