Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanical v. Fixed >

Mechanical v. Fixed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical v. Fixed

Old 07-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Mechanical v. Fixed

I have used mechanicals (never shot at a deer with them though), and am not a true believer yet. Are there ANY fixed broadheads that fly like (or even very close) to a field tip? I hate the mechanicals that have rubber bands, and would love to hear if anyone has anything to say about the jackhamer type mechanicals.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:48 PM

Default RE: Mechanical v. Fixed

The list is long, but distinguished.

Magnus Stinger
Slick Trick
Sonic
Wasp Boss Bullet

The list goes on and on. Your lower profile heads fly very well...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:50 PM

These fly like field tips - huh? I see those that advertise "field tip accuracy", but I always took that to mean that they grouped like field tips
Old 07-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Yeah, you gotta watch that. It's sometimes a marketing play on words, but most low profile heads fly extremely well. I know for certain the Stingers do. Few guys I know use slick tricks, they say they do. I've heard the Wasp does....
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks - I will take a look at those. Do most of those have a cutting diameter of at least 1" or greater? I am a great believer in big wound channels (more blood!!!)
Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

I shoot mechanicals and they fly just like my field points. I dont have a problem with the rubber bands...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most will say, " Everything will fly the same out of a properly tuned bow." There are more factors than that. As mobow said, the lower profile heads will preform very well. The Muzzy MX-3 is what I w personally would be using if I was going to use a fixed head this year. As far as fixed not flying well, there are many variables. Certain arrows will shoot them better, weather plays a role, and if you don't have your shafts squared when you buy your arrows, that will play a really big role. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Muzzy's will group in a 4" cirlce at 50 yards

Never shot a mech broadhead... Never had a reason to... Aint nobody going to tell me that a mech is better than a good fixed head like a Muzzy!!!

I say learn how to tunea bow and you woin't need to shoot them... They cost twice as much as a muzzy
Old 07-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Ive shot both mechanicle and fixed, killed deer with both, liked the wound channel the mech. made, pass-through shot two inches wide made a blood trail easy to follow at nite" looked like you painted a red line through the wood"s. I have gone back to muzzy since they came out with the mx4 100gr, a couple of places I hunt have hogs, dont really know how well the mechanicles will do on them as far as penetration, and Ive always had good luck makeing the muzzies fly well.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:59 PM

I use Muzzy 3 blade 100g. I love them and will not try any mechanicals only because of my great success with the fixed blade. I can't say anything bad about the mechanicals though because I have never had a reason to try them.

Quick Reply: Mechanical v. Fixed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.