Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Overkill?

Old 07-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow Overkill?

I have thought about this long and hard and I am going to bowhunt. I can hunt for almost 4 months whereas my gun is only allowed for 16 days, and blackpowder is 9 days. I will continue to gun hunt, but the bow will now be my main weapon.

Anyways, how do I wade through all the marketing hype associated with bows???? Every bow person wants the latest and greatest, but is it necessary?? Perhaps, it is all marketing overkill? All I want is a reliable, comfortable and accurate as I am bow. I am debating between the Fred Bear Instinct and the Reflex Growler. Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow Overkill?

Set a limit on what you want to spend for bow & accessories. Then shoot as many bows in that range as you can and pick the one that you like best.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Site Bouncer

You won't go wrong with either. I suggest you go and shoot a few bowsin the price range you are willing to spend and buy the one that fits you and your shooting style the best.

Have fun looking and welcome to bow hunting.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:41 PM

You can also go through the archery classifieds here. That is where I bought my first bow a couple months ago. Older Matthews Z-Max. It was cheap and shoots great.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tips guys!!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

You won't go wrong with either. I suggest you go and shoot a few bowsin the price range you are willing to spend and buy the one that fits you and your shooting style the best.

I'll 2nd that!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just buy a Mathews and cut the chase.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 PM

Make sure the you shoot the Tomkat by Bowtech.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ArrowMike

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

I'll 2nd that!
I'll 3rd that.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM

LOL....and you haven't even picked the bow out yet.....Wait till you start dressing her up! There are literally HUNDREDS of options to choose from. Head to your local pro shop. You'll get the best help there.

For the money, Reflex is EXTREMELY difficult to beat. They are fantastic bows, and the Growler is superb.

I'll give some BASIC guidelines....

1. Set a price, and STICK WITH IT

2. Educate yourself on the basic, general styles of bows, the terminology, and geometry of them. (sounds difficult, but it's quite simple)

3. Educate yourself on the basic styles of accessories.
a. sights
1. fixed, multiplepin
2. single pin slider
3.pendulum
b. rests
1. full containment
2. drop away
3. prong style
4. flipper/springs
(I'm sure I forgot a couple there)

c. stabilizers
There are a gillion (that's scientific lyngo for a heck of a lot) different styles of stabs on the market. As with all accessories, they range from quite inexpensive to downright ridiculous. But you basically want a good stabilizer that will absorb vibration and quiet the bow. Most good ones on the market now days do both of those.

d. arrows
1. aluminum
2. carbon
3. aluminum/carbon combination

This could go on a while, but you get the drift.....Catalogs are good for getting a feel for what's out there. This sight is a TERRIFIC tool for wading through the garbage, and of course there is the pro shop, probably the best option of all.

Good luck in your decision, and don't be afraid to ask questions here.

Quick Reply: Bow Overkill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.