Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer age....."QDMA"....basic rambling >

Deer age....."QDMA"....basic rambling

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer age....."QDMA"....basic rambling

Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Deer age....."QDMA"....basic rambling

No. 1 - Watched a show last night where a guy let a deer walk by him that he said was 7.5 yrs old......because it had an inferior rack tot he other deer on the property. He said the deer was "On his way down".....and let him walk in hopes of a larger racked buck.

Something not right about that....lol......

No. 2 - I think it was Yooper that was talking about an old deer on here the other day.....and some outfitters talking about getting that "old" deer out of the gene pool. I've read somewhere that deer don't breed when they get older. Did I misunderstand?

Just basic rambling thoughts....
Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer age....."QDMA"....basic rambling

The strongest get the girls Jeff. The old buck still wants to breed but the dominant buck does all he can to see that doesn't happen. I still think the old buck that once was still has the gene for great breeding even though his rack has long past. Around here a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old bucks seem to be top dogs. When they step out into the field you can see it in their demeanor that they know it's their time. I have watch bucks I have past on come back the next season and and be the dominant buck. It's really cool to watch when you think about it.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 AM

im fAIRY shure your right about the breading but im not an expert.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

MOHO:

When they step out into the field you can see it in their demeanor that they know it's their time. I have watch bucks I have past on come back the next season and and be the dominant buck. It's really cool to watch when you think about it.
I hadn't even thought of this!! Man...that will be cool to see. I know who the boss is in my woods.....but It'll be interesting to see who the next "contender" is....and how they react when he's around. I hope to witness a bit of that this year.....and I admit that dichotomy hasn't entered my mind.

Let me ask this (Little off-track...but is my thread).....what if I shoot the dominant buck in my area. Is it possible another buck moves in from another area? Or....would one of the satellites step up?

Interesting!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:49 AM

Good question i think a nother dominent buck COULD overthrow a weaker satilite if they wanted too. Just a theroy.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

[/quote]
Let me ask this (Little off-track...but is my thread).....what if I shoot the dominant buck in my area. Is it possible another buck moves in from another area? Or....would one of the satellites step up?

Interesting!
[/quote]

The one he has been fighting to keep away will take over. By the time you are in the woods hunting your dominant buck has made his presence known. Late in the season is when you might see a dominant buck from a different area show up looking for any doe left. If you kill the dominant buck in your area, pat yourself on the back. That is my goal every season.
I can't hunt the most dominant buck in Kansas but can in my hunting area. You know when you got him. Good luck my man.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

The reason I ask is.....As far as harems (sp?)go.....my man's sitting on a whitetail cathouse doe-a-rama. It would be like the head basketball coaching job at Duke opening up if I took out the dominant buck in my woods.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 AM

Mabey
Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

The strongest get the girls Jeff. The old buck still wants to breed but the dominant buck does all he can to see that doesn't happen. I still think the old buck that once was still has the gene for great breeding even though his rack has long past. Around here a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old bucks seem to be top dogs. When they step out into the field you can see it in their demeanor that they know it's their time. I have watch bucks I have past on come back the next season and and be the dominant buck. It's really cool to watch when you think about it.
You're right, it is cool to watch this. I've noticed that during the pre-rut, 1st week of Nov. that the 3 1/2s are the first ones to start going crazy. They think they're bad. After about the 7th or 8th of Nov. these same bucks start showing up with their racks all kinds of smashed and broken. Some 4 1/2s are in this group as well. From about the 10th on the big, big boys start showing up. It's really fun to watch the "wanna be" tough guys cower with their tail between their legs when a true bruiser shows up. He just walks up to the other "wanna be" with a menacing walkand takes the doe away from him with no hesitation, and that's respect!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:28 AM

somebody should try and get video of this i want to see it or photos or sumthing

Quick Reply: Deer age....."QDMA"....basic rambling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.