Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Telling photo of soil nutrient content (UPDATED) >

Telling photo of soil nutrient content (UPDATED)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Telling photo of soil nutrient content (UPDATED)

Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 AM

Default RE: Telling photo of soil nutrient content

GMMAT. . .

I'm really not trying to start an argument over it. . .but what fact are you trying to bolster? Your original post was title "Telling photo of soil nutrient content" and you used a photo to try and prove this. I know now what your goal or objective is. Deer in the midwest are getting better nutrition, which is an obvious fact. But the photo isn't a tell-tale sign the corn is from the midwest.

I want to point back to this. . .

Corn, with ample amounts of nutrients, appropriatehybrids selected for the appropriateenvironment, and of course, enough rainfall can appear tall, healthy, and produce decent yields (for the farmer, wildlife, etc) in a wide variety of soils. And thus, can appear like corn grown in superior environments.

While you aregoing to see a majority of our nation's corn from the Midwest, food plots around the country can have corn appear exactly as it didin the picture and at the same time, be nutrituous for the wildlife, decent yields, etc.

I agree with you on soil types. . .and why farmers in the midwest grow corn (heck, my father and I do it every year). Butany food plot can be manicured to provide thedeer in the area with the same nutrition theycan get throughout the midwest. Will it be onthe same scale as in theMidwest?Definitely not. . .thereturn isn't always therefor corn to be grown as a primary cash crop.

Trust me, I am not blind to the fact that deer in the midwest are getting a better chance to get propernutrition. ..and amajor reason behind that is large amount of good soil types. But conversely, with the right amount of rain and enough fertilizer, we could have corn in NC looking as well as some stuff in the Midwest.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Bols:

Iguess I could have just posted this.....

Deer in the midwest are getting better nutrition, which is an obvious fact.
.....and nobody would have said anything?????

Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 AM

Probably. . .[8D]

Old 07-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL....I'm learning...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 AM

that graph on the head shot forum said other wise

dont kill me
Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's what the corn looks like.....at the closest corn field to my hunting grounds.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 AM

Thats tall. deer must love hiding in it.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Butany food plot can be manicured to provide thedeer in the area with the same nutrition theycan get throughout the midwest.
Bols does it not have to do with the minerals in the soil? I believe that is why areas with river bottoms have on average better(bigger) deer.

So would a person with poor soil have to put minerals in the plot? To be honest I just plant mine where it floods every spring and it grows(like mad, no fetilizer or lime)
How can a person with soil lacking minerals get a good plot as good as a soybean field from my area(river bottom)

BTW guys soybeans are the key to big antlers in the Midwest Soybeans=Protein Corn=Carbohydrates
Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

How can a person with soil lacking minerals get a good plot as good as a soybean field from my area(river bottom)
Lots of sweat and $$$. Trust me, I've been doing it for 2x years now. With accurate soil testing,the right kind andtype offertilizer and the right amount of lime and you can grow great stuff anywhere.

The pics below aremy biggest food plot and were taken from last year. Just 6 months before these weretaken this was an overgrown goldenrod field let go for over 20 years with a PH level in the 5's (6.5-7 is ideal).

After brush hogging, applying glyphosate, letting it rot down, picking rocks, discing, spreading over a ton of lime and lots of fertilizer to get nitrogen/phosphate/postash levels in check, raking, seeding, dragging and praying for rain..................we ended up with a plot that would have rivaled anything in the country in terms of forageper acre.

The key is soil testing and adding exactly what youneed for your intended crop. Without this your shooting in the dark.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lots of sweat and $$$.
That is what I thought

That is what mine look like, and I spray some round up and plant I will take some photos next weekend if I can. River bottoms rock

BTW it looks great and you should be proud. Not too many guys would put the effort in you have. I am sure it will pay off soon.

Lots of sweat and $$$. Trust me, I've been doing it for 2x years now. With accurate soil testing,the right kind andtype offertilizer and the right amount of lime and you can grow great stuff anywhere.
Sorry just thought of this, yes you can grow it, but will it have the same minerals as river bottom area, or some of the best soil in Ill or Iowa? I think this is where the real benifit of the Midwest comes into play IMO. I really don't know, but this has been a good thread for me.

Quick Reply: Telling photo of soil nutrient content (UPDATED)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.