Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Comparison: Moultrie D40 vs. Trail Watcher >

Comparison: Moultrie D40 vs. Trail Watcher

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Comparison: Moultrie D40 vs. Trail Watcher

Old 07-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Comparison: Moultrie D40 vs. Trail Watcher

Just got a new Trail Watcher Game Cam, model 4040. I have been using a Moultrie D40. Thought I'd give you a comparison between the two. Granted the Trail Watcher lists for 425.00 and the Moultrie is only 99.00. But, it gives you an idea what you can expect for your money when you step up. The Trail Watcher was a gift to Archers Edge for a raffle...which I won. Anyway, tough challenge for any camera...black hog in the night. I am really amazed how crisp the Trail Watcher photos are.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Default RE: Comparison: Moultrie D40 vs. Trail Watcher

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

Just got a new Trail Watcher Game Cam, model 4040. I have been using a Moultrie D40. Thought I'd give you a comparison between the two. Granted the Trail Watcher lists for 425.00 and the Moultrie is only 99.00. But, it gives you an idea what you can expect for your money when you step up. The Trail Watcher was a gift to Archers Edge for a raffle...which I won. Anyway, tough challenge for any camera...black hog in the night. I am really amazed how crisp the Trail Watcher photos are.

Last one was the Moultrie...here is the Trail Watcher.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Interesting. How do they compare other than clearity of pictures?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:44 PM

I found both easy to set up and use. The Trail Watcher is about half the size and weight and camo finish...nice. It also has an external switch to turn off the motion sensor, so that you can change settings and the memory card without taking unwanted pics. The Trail Watcher uses a Sony S40 camera...which is 4 meg. The Moultrie says it is a 4 mg as well, but the pics tell the difference. Hope that helps.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Red Boar,
Is that Moultrie model the same as the "Game Spy"? I was looking through the Red Head fall archery catalog and they list the Moultrie 4mg "Game Spy" as $99.99 but have it on sale for $79.88.
It almost sounds too good to be true but if it's a quality camera at such a great price I think I'll have to grab 2 or 3 for my spots. Man if you could get 3 quality cameras for the price of 1 "good" one that sounds pretty good to me!
I just want to see what's out there, not submit anything to National Geographic so that sounds right up my alley?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Red Boar,
Is that Moultrie model the same as the "Game Spy"? I was looking through the Red Head fall archery catalog and they list the Moultrie 4mg "Game Spy" as $99.99 but have it on sale for $79.88.
It almost sounds too good to be true but if it's a quality camera at such a great price I think I'll have to grab 2 or 3 for my spots. Man if you could get 3 quality cameras for the price of 1 "good" one that sounds pretty good to me!
I just want to see what's out there, not submit anything to National Geographic so that sounds right up my alley?
Not quite the same camera, Matt...the Gamespy 3.1 is on sale...it uses a 3 mg. camera. The Model D-40 uses a 4 mg and is supposed to have a faster trigger time. I bought the D-40 for 99 bucks. Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gotcha........I just caught that myself.
I think I'll go for the little better camera with faster trigger and resolution vs saving just $20.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:08 PM

Hey Matt....here is a daytime pic from the Moultrie. Not great, but it will certainly help you see what you have on your property. Good luck....

Old 07-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought the moultrie D40 and I am going to buy 3 more. Think of it this way, if you are trying to photograph animals and keep the pics (frame them etc.. go get a $400 camera

However, if you just want to see what is on your property why wouldn't I want to save my money to get me more cameras to spread out?? IMHO, I think it is crazy to spend $400 for a game camera when a $100 camera will do the job. Thanks for sharing your pics!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

I just bought the moultrie D40 and I am going to buy 3 more. Think of it this way, if you are trying to photograph animals and keep the pics (frame them etc.. go get a $400 camera

However, if you just want to see what is on your property why wouldn't I want to save my money to get me more cameras to spread out?? IMHO, I think it is crazy to spend $400 for a game camera when a $100 camera will do the job. Thanks for sharing your pics!!!
Legitimate point for sure...notice that I said I won the camera. My real reason for posting was to show what you could expect if you did want to spend the extra.

Quick Reply: Comparison: Moultrie D40 vs. Trail Watcher

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.