Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your best and worst bowhunting skill? >

What is your best and worst bowhunting skill?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your best and worst bowhunting skill?

Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your best and worst bowhunting skill?

My best??? I'm not sure

My worst? I can't let anything walk. If I have a shot and its legal,I shoot. I hope to change that this year
Old 07-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wheatley

One of my best would be judging distance to the deer without a range finder. I wouldn't say that I am an expert but that is what I do best.

Worst: Probably not putting enough thought into where I am going to hunt with the current conditions. Like looking at the wind forecast. It has completely changed directions and the forecast said it would. If I would have looked at it I could have been in the right spot.
This is the EXACT same as mine!
especially the good!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:12 PM

I would have to say one of my best is also judging distance. I feel like I don't need a rangefinder but it would be a nice accessory to own. It would just be one more thing to keep track of but I probably should get one; especially after typing this. Jinks.[][:@]

Worst

When my feet get cold I am ready to go. It sucks. I also wish I could stay on stand all day long without leaving. I really hope to overcome that this year. I also overhunt my stand but I really don't think its a big deal.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best would be, making the shot. For some reason I may get the shakes when i first see a deer. But when it comes time to shoot I guess I just put everything on autopilot and the shot comes naturally. Draw back pick a spot and shoot.

My worst might be sneaking into a stand sight quitely. It seems like if there is a twig on the ground I will step on it. Or my climber will clank off of every branch in the woods.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 PM

Best?

Patience. I can sit all day, every day. There's not much on this earth I enjoy more than sitting on stand. I'll sit forever, if need be.

Worst?

Knowledge of the animals I'm after. At this point, I am incapable of putting the puzzle together and making it happen. I've got the does "figured out" but not the bucks.....
Old 07-27-2007, 06:36 PM

GREAT question Atlasman!

Best: Patience. No doubt my best quality. Being in my 4thyear of bowhunting (26th year muzzleloader) I can sit all day in my stand without seeing a deer and still love watching the squirrels and snakes etc... crawl about the woods. I know I'm not the only one who can understand that. I can also let the 4,5 and 6pointers pass without even reaching for my bow however, an 8 pointer or larger is getting an arrow thrown it's way if a good shot opportunity comes along.

Worst: Over hunting my areas. As much as I love the outdoors, I just can't pass up an opportunity to get into my stand. I have one spot that I can be in my stand and ready to shoot25 minutes after walking out my front door. It is an excellent deer funnel and the deer come by no matter how much I hunt it. The large ones catch on but the small ones and does just don't seem to care. I love it! I just don't see how anyone can pass up an opportunity to watch deer of any age or sex walk under your stand... I want to go now just thinking about it.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

BEST

I have killed deer from trees guys could barely figure out how I climbed.

RESPECT MY MAN!

My best would have to belettingdeer walk. Spending so much time (and money) out there and passing younger bucks. Hunting all my life with guysthat shoot everything that moves, when I show family and friends pics of deer walking by me they think I'm nuts.

Worst would have to be still getting deer fever after all these years. Somehow I pull it together and get it done, but I'm a freakin wreck!!!!
(This year I'm gonna switch to Decaf)

Old 07-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Best?

I have none. They're all bad. [8D]

I think my worst is "not" spending enought time hunting a particular location. Stand hopping!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Best:
goodjudge of distance, bullheaded(combination of patience and willing to hunt in ANY weather that mother nature wants to throw at me), good at making really tough shots, and have a good knowledge of the deer I'm hunting
Worst:
I said good knowledge, not great knowledge( you can never know enough), probably too much of a risk taker for most peoples taste(if I seea big buck dogging a doe, I'm going after him instead of staying put, it does pay off sometimes though), I am really good at being at the right set-up on the wrong day-you know, big buck under the tree you hid behind yesterday, I might be a little too bull-headed--I really like to try to prove people wrong--that's why I mostly hunt off of the ground without a blind and use many other unorthodox tactics--it's hard to say if that's a bad thing because it has been working for me but who know's if I hunted the same way that most do I could have even better deer on the wall.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Best: Is waiting for the deer to give me the best shot possible. Last year I shot one doe, Passed up four other deer waiting for the "perfest shot". Passing on the smaller deer and just watching them mill around. Knowing yardage has been pretty close also.

Worst:Need to do more early morning hunts. Knowing the "exact" way to use "every"sound on mydeer call, getting better though!(still have the can)

Quick Reply: What is your best and worst bowhunting skill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.