HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Where to hunt NY Black Bears (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/199311-where-hunt-ny-black-bears.html)

PatrickMc 07-26-2007 02:03 PM

Where to hunt NY Black Bears

I'm looking to hunt black bears in upstate NY this fall. I have no idea where it would be best though. I live about an hour south of Rochester so im more or less in the middle of the finger lakes. I'm wondering who out here has hunted bear in NY before. I don't know if I should try down near Allegheny, or up in theeastern Adirondacks. I have friends near both so lodging isn't the issue. The Catskills are a bit far and I'd have to find lodging. I would like a successful hunt obviously, but a good learning experience is almost as good. Any good advice or strategy/tipsfrom any of you experienced guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rick James 07-26-2007 02:36 PM

RE: Where to hunt NY Black Bears

Anywhere in upstate adirondack region is outstanding. Get on Rt. 30 north out of Amsterdam and head north.........any of the areas between Speculator and Tupper Lake are absolutely outstanding. You know when your in the heart of adirondack bear country when you start seeing caged in trash bins for the garbage truck at the end of everyones driveways...........;).

My girlfriends family are all old school loggers and big woods deer hunters that still hunt and drivethese mountains north of Great SacandagaLake.They see almost as many bears as they do antlered bucks and kill at least one a year on average out of the group in this area.Lots of public land and paper company land too that you will never see another hunter on if your willing to hike a bit.

tsoc 07-26-2007 04:05 PM

Go to the NYS DEC website and search around a bit,you will see the bear kill by county and by township.That would be a great place to start. I am very familiar with the Catskills as I live there.If there are any area's within the Catskills that you have an interest in let me know!

xlilcntrygrlx 07-26-2007 04:24 PM

I've heard the Adirondacks are good for deer and bear! Good luck...I know we have them in Steuben county.

Broek 07-26-2007 04:56 PM

"Where to hunt NY Black Bears"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the best place to hunt NY bears is ................ In the woods!!!:D[8D]:D

Just couldn't help myself.

I'm sure you will get lots of help, as this site is great!!!! Good luck!

PatrickMc 07-27-2007 02:44 PM

LOL, thanks Broek, I had that coming didn't I?

Thanks all for the advice on spots. How about anyone from the east side of the Adirondacks? old forge area? as a first timer I'd like all the help I can get. How about draw weight, and broadheads size? Any suggestions?

davidmil 07-27-2007 03:10 PM

Lordy, I think you have an abundance of bears in Western NY. That said, an under hunted area for black bears is probably the tug hill region. Lots of public land and bears are an after thought to most there. They'll whack one during deer season but few go after them in the early bear season. I haven't been to the Inlet/Big Moose Lake country in years. They used to have the most. Land access may be the problem there.

johnl 07-27-2007 04:43 PM

go south west ,around allegany state park is good as is south of olean near the pa border

sr77 07-28-2007 11:20 AM

This is a good thread, my family just bought a property N. east of Utica in the southwest Adirondacks. I am hoping the bear hunting is good up this way, I know there are plenty of deer and Turkey. :D

Shane

davidmil 07-28-2007 01:54 PM

sr77... it depends on how far northeast of Utica. You'll have to get up into the Adirondack Park to find any bear concentrations. There is an occasional one that wanders down as far as Booneville or NE of Remsen but you can't count on it.