Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Head shot with a bow >

Head shot with a bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head shot with a bow

Old 07-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Head shot with a bow

If you had to ask a question to up your post count... why would you ask about head shots. LOL
Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Yea it's just a deer...
That about sums it up. You obviously have no respect for the animals you pursue. No true sportsman would intentionally shoot a deer in the head with archery equipment.

If you pulled that crap at my deer camp you would no longer be invited.

I don't know if this pic was from an intentional head shot or not, but it shows what could happen if a head shot didn't work out as planned. This buck was walking around a Pennsylvania neighborhood with an arrow in the back of it's head.

I wasnt exactly sure what to think of this thread at first but after seeing this picture IM PISSED and SICK TO MY STOMACH!!!!!!!!!!!

Its one thing to shoot a deer (ethically) and have them die within 5 minutes or less of the shot. But THIS A$$hole who took this shot should have an arrow stuck in the back of his head and be sent walking around.

this is only a deer someone has gotten a picture of and its a picture that can ruin the image of hunters. If someone has gotten a PICTURE of something like this you know that there are tons more of deer running around with arround or parts of arrows in them. I understand that this can be a mistake and that sometimes things just happen, but to purposley take a head shot at a deer KNOWING that this could be the outcome just makes me SICK!!!!!!

Im sorry you think the way you do mister longbeard
Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

NEVER, EVER would i take a head shot on a deer with a bow. NEVER.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 AM

But theres a problem with video games i have hunting unlimeted 2 and on some levels you have to shoot animals in the head with a bow to pass wich is wrong because it teaches peopleto think its the best way to kill a deer will then go out and try headshots.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Although I have entertained the thought of doing it since it may be kinda cool, I will never do it. To me it all comes down to "EVIDENCE"! When gun hunters do it they are praised for being expert shots, and the bullet introduces lots of trauma and the deer can die. But if a gun hunter misses then there is only a wounded deer and no 30-06 sign hanging on it head, or Remington 12 GA sign sticking out it's lower jaw. The brain on a deer is real small with lots of bone and bone cavity around it. You miss the small brain or where the brain meets the spine and presto you have a deer like the above pic walking around saying "look what us bow hunters can do!" A deer walking around with a arrow sticking out of its head is just fuel for the antis fire and sad for just anyone that has a heart. To me its risk and rewards, and the risk on this one is not worth it.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

I am new to this siite and a beginner bowhunter. I know people like longbeard, I have hunted with people who just want to kill something, whether they have the proper tag, are using the allowable equipment or any other law or ethic is irrelevant to them. The sickness I felt when hunting with these type of people is undescribable, and a mistake I don't make anymore.At the end of the season they brag about all the deer they shotandI have another goose egg season.The day I hunt purely to kill is the day I will find another passion. It is not about the kill to most hunters it is about the outdoors, fresh air and commaraderie of true hunting pals that keeps me chasing the elusive whitetail.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:54 AM

very eligantly put
Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 AM

i too know a hunter that has killed a deer with a head shot. MY cusin brags about being this great hunter and marks man but the deer he killed was a buck fever inspired head shot with a 270 that desroyed any value the trophy had (think what woud happen when a bullet explodes in the head).
Old 07-30-2007, 11:11 AM

Very well said dmen. I also applaud you for ceasing to hunt with those types of people. We all know, or can at least imagine,how hard it can be to tell a buddy that you cant do something with them b/c of their ways, especially their hunting habits. Unfortunately the competitive nature that our society instills in us to be the best, sometimes spills over into areas where it has no place. You are correct, when the passion is no longer there, and is replaced by the desired to kill, or just results for bragging rights, it is time to move on to another hobby. I would suggest taking up another sport that is competitive, join a softball league or race a Saturday night dirt track, etc. Hell, if you just have a hard on to go shoot something, go out to a prairie dog farm, all day shooting. There is just no place for competition among hunters.

Incidentally, we haven't heard from longbeard in a few days...think he got the hint and turned in his tags? I would suggest poker for his new hobby.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 AM

longy turned in his tags and is folowing is dreams of becoming a street preformer

Quick Reply: Head shot with a bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.