Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How To Get Others To Let Small Bucks Go >

How To Get Others To Let Small Bucks Go

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How To Get Others To Let Small Bucks Go

Old 07-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How To Get Others To Let Small Bucks Go

I don't see anyone trying to browbeat trophy hunters into taking small animals, so I don't see how that applies to both sides of the fence.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

And don't think we don't have our owncases of "elitism" right here among our ranks.

That was a good post Arthur.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I don't see anyone trying to browbeat trophy hunters into taking small animals, so I don't see how that applies to both sides of the fence.
The Eliteism part Arthur, but I know you knew that[8D]
Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

And then we have those who insist on throwing their stones straight up.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

When that guy takes that small basket buck, instead of shaking his hand and congratulating a fellow hunter on his good fortune, you act like he's just raped your grandmother. And in the next breath you wonder why hunter numbers are declining. It's called elitisim, fellas.
I will agree with that statement 100%. The elitisim you talk about is on both side of the fences. Funny thing is I have never once justified anything I have shot. From my first doe fawn to my many basket racks to what I shoot now.Yes I have herd the same things others have said. I just knew what I shot at the time was right for me.Are there guys who beat up others for shooting basket racks, yep. Are there guys who beat up trophy hunters andclaim we are runing the"hertiage" of hunting, yep.

So I mean this from the bottom of my heart. Don't throw stones from glass houses
I think what you are perceiving as a double standard is more of a reaction from those who are less selective being tired of being made out to be second class citizens, also even a genuine concern for the hunting heritage , as it was originally simply about the joy of hunting, being content with what the field, (without being groomed like a golf course with food plots, feeders, and supplements), yielded naturally, camaraderie, and a chance to escape the rat race in the beauty of the outdoors. Friendly competitions, such as here on HN ,and many of the 'Big Buck' contests, werea matter of recognizing size, weight,antler growth--without being artifically stimulated--taken during the due course of the hunting season, honoring the deer as much as the deer hunter. Everyone would eagerly wait to see what showed up around different parts of teh state.Theyhavebeen replaced with a totally different mindset. The deer are now farmed and land is now over managed into unhealthy ratios, and only will a certain antler size and age class be acceptable.It does not resemble what hunting always was about.If you still simply enjoy hunting and don't get all caught up in the hoopla, you are looked down on as some kind of unskilled and unpatriotic less than a hunter. I react to that mindset, not by throwing stones but by attempting to remind others what hunting has always been about and should still be about--even in context of those who choose to(and rightfully so), and have the time available and are so motivated to pursue only a certain size and age class buck. I like to call myself a purist, meaning I simply want to hunt without all of the new 'management'(not talking about the reasonable and sound QDM principles which are common sense) methods, and when I step into the woods,I want it to look like woods, with as little trace of man and his influence as possible, with the deer herd being as wild and dependent on natural forage as possible. I am lookingfor an older class buck, and take proportionate numbers of does without that buck having to meet someone else's standards. Points normally coincide with age classes, so I have a 6 point or better restriction, but there are even 4 points in my areas that are 3 1/2 years old. I took one that weighed 180, and was 3-4 1/2 years old a couple of year's ago. I think many wouldn't have done so because of his rack, but it isn't any less of an accomplishment to take a 12 point 3-4 1/2 year old than this buck--but it probably is less desirable for many. Granted I can take 2 in Ga, and I also hunt in SC, Al.( I got to SC{100 acres surrounded by dog hunters}once a year--opening weekend--Aug 15 -18th, hunt local in Ga{also 100 acres}, and go t to Al 2-3 times a year{250 acres})so it was an easier choice, since I have more tags than someone in Illinois for example. Plus , this deer was on land with about 8 deer per square mile, so I felt thatI had done well to even take any older class buck. Would I like for him to have been 'bigger'? Yes, but I hope that my choice reflects that I can keep perspective within the 'big picture'. Ithink that some who are so bent on trophy only--which in and of itself isn't a real problem--have lost sight of the 'big picture'--and that is a problem.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Bartender

Some are just plain meat hunters and meat is meat.
ORIGINAL: Beagle001

I've been wondering this for some time now, and for some reason I never brought it up here. I am the pioneer of "QDM" or what you want to call it on our property. How do I get some of the other non-believers go along with it? I've been trying but they are kind of thick headed. We have some great land for growing big boys, but people keep shooting little ones.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM

Some people are going to do what they do. I used to shoot everything here in Fla,and we can shoot as many as we want. But me and a friend of mine were able to buy a good piece of property and made the rule of 100 inches or better(thats big in Fla) we both bring whoever we want and if they shoot anything less they just can't come back, no argument no fuss just hope you enjoyed it. It has worked out real well. One of my friends killed a 107 and almost did not shoot it for fear of it not being big enough. just my 2 cents.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think what you are perceiving as a double standard is more of a reaction from those who are less selective being tired of being made out to be second class citizens, also even a genuine concern for the hunting heritage
What exactly is the heritage of hunting? Teddy Rooslevelt who is one of our Icons was a Trophy hunter was he not? It was the sport hunter who saved hunting. Most of those guys were not hunting for food. They were hunting for recreation as I do today. Our "heritage" hunters before that sure did a fine job on the buffalo. Is this the hertiage you speak of?

If heritage means hunting for food than we have some issues there also. Whitetails were about wiped out in our "hertiage" days than

I thought the Heritage hunting startred in the 30's, anything before that had nothing to do with "Heritage ". It had to do with eatingand not starving to death.

Going out and shoot anydeer for some extra venison is great. Hunting so your family can eat is a whole other story. My Grampa lived through the great depression, deer hunting for them had nothing to do with "hertiage". It had to do with not starving to death[] Just think about the pressure we feel today when we shoot a buck(any). Now think about if you had to kill a deer that night so your family can eat. No "Hertiage" there[&:]

The deer are now farmed and land is now over managed into unhealthy ratios
I have no idea what land you are talking about. QDM is about having the right number of deer. Now if you are talking TDM(Traditional Deer Management) you have Michigan pegged Not the farm part

I step into the woods,I want it to look like woods, with as little trace of man and his influence as possible, with the deer herd being as wild and dependent on natural forage as possible.
I think we all want that, but good luck. Most of the land in lower 48 has been touched by man. Just think there was 1 deer per sq mile in Northen MI before we logged it. At one point it was high as 40 deer per Sq mile. I love to hunt Northen MI because it looks untouched by man, but deer are there because of man.

I or most here do not look down on anyone. Go read some post there are some who do, but most of the "look down on feeling"is from people assuming they were being ragged on. Because someone said "I won't have shot him" So what some guys would have not bought a dodgeI bought. Should I act like a 2 year old when some ask why I did not buy a Chevy Come to think of it Preacher beat me up pretty bad

Sorry I do not buy the protecting the "Hertiage" of hunting argument. I myself have no idea what the "Hertiage" of hunting is[&:]

If it is hunting for food, well there was no honor or fair play there. Do you think a hunter waited until the deer was broadside before they shot?The Indians or early settlers put an arrow or bulletanyway they could. Ran the beast down until it tired out than finshed it off. Ran them over cliffs, back them into corners and stoned them to death.

If we are talking "Hertiage" hunting after Teddy Roosvelt days than Trophy Hunting is a part of hunting "Hertiage"

I ask this question on another thread.

If a hunter has a fork buck in his sights and ready to drop hammer on him, then hehears a twig break and sees a 150'' 10 will he shoot the "better" tasting deer or wait for the old tough meat 150'' 10?

I do agree with a lot of what you say, I just do not buy the hertiage of hunting argument. I would prefer the Teddy Rosvelt era myself. When sportsman fought to protect hunting. So we can hunt for recreation and enjoyment. I amthankful for the choice I have to shoot a big one or little one.

I have read were the "Trophy" guys gets lamb basted, but I guess that is OK. It is all about the hertiage of hunting[8D]
Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with this:

I think what you are perceiving as a double standard is more of a reaction from those who are less selective being tired of being made out to be second class citizens, also even a genuine concern for the hunting heritage , as it was originally simply about the joy of hunting, being content with what the field, (without being groomed like a golf course with food plots, feeders, and supplements), yielded naturally, camaraderie, and a chance to escape the rat race in the beauty of the outdoors. Friendly competitions, such as here on HN ,and many of the 'Big Buck' contests, werea matter of recognizing size, weight,antler growth--without being artifically stimulated--taken during the due course of the hunting season, honoring the deer as much as the deer hunter. Everyone would eagerly wait to see what showed up around different parts of teh state.Theyhavebeen replaced with a totally different mindset. The deer are now farmed and land is now over managed into unhealthy ratios, and only will a certain antler size and age class be acceptable.It does not resemble what hunting always was about.If you still simply enjoy hunting and don't get all caught up in the hoopla, you are looked down on as some kind of unskilled and unpatriotic less than a hunter. I react to that mindset, not by throwing stones but by attempting to remind others what hunting has always been about and should still be about--even in context of those who choose to(and rightfully so), and have the time available and are so motivated to pursue only a certain size and age class buck. I like to call myself a purist, meaning I simply want to hunt without all of the new 'management'(not talking about the reasonable and sound QDM principles which are common sense) methods, and when I step into the woods,I want it to look like woods, with as little trace of man and his influence as possible, with the deer herd being as wild and dependent on natural forage as possible. I am lookingfor an older class buck, and take proportionate numbers of does without that buck having to meet someone else's standards. Points normally coincide with age classes, so I have a 6 point or better restriction, but there are even 4 points in my areas that are 3 1/2 years old. I took one that weighed 180, and was 3-4 1/2 years old a couple of year's ago. I think many wouldn't have done so because of his rack, but it isn't any less of an accomplishment to take a 12 point 3-4 1/2 year old than this buck--but it probably is less desirable for many. Granted I can take 2 in Ga, and I also hunt in SC, Al.( I got to SC{100 acres surrounded by dog hunters}once a year--opening weekend--Aug 15 -18th, hunt local in Ga{also 100 acres}, and go t to Al 2-3 times a year{250 acres})so it was an easier choice, since I have more tags than someone in Illinois for example. Plus , this deer was on land with about 8 deer per square mile, so I felt thatI had done well to even take any older class buck. Would I like for him to have been 'bigger'? Yes, but I hope that my choice reflects that I can keep perspective within the 'big picture'. Ithink that some who are so bent on trophy only--which in and of itself isn't a real problem--have lost sight of the 'big picture'--and that is a problem.
I'm involved in another bowhunting contest......where the deer are treated a little more "evenly" across the nation. Bucks are scored on "antler points". If you don't think this would raise a stink in this forum contest.....suggest it . I know what we'd hear.

It's not so much about the taking of "deer" as it is "trophy hunting".....and I know a lot of people get turned off by this. It's a fact of what hunting has turned into for many.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Here's the way I see it. The deer is in the eye of the beholder. You can't tell people what is a good deer and what isn't, it's all in the opinion of the hunter. So you can't get others to let small bucks go, because that's just like telling someone how to hunt. I mean, if it's your land that's a different story.

Quick Reply: How To Get Others To Let Small Bucks Go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.