Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wrist sling

Old 07-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wrist sling

I always value you opinions Len,please elaborate on the danger of using a sling while hunting? I use one for better follow through and so as not be grabbing the bow after the moment of release.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:20 AM

It is very possible to follow through without a sling. Just depends on how much recoil your bow has at the shot. I can shoot my bowtech just fine without a sling on level ground, because it doesn't move at the shot. Now if I tried that with my darton it would fly out of my hand.

The arrow is gone before you can grab the bow. Anything you do to mess it up you did BEFORE you released the arrow. Consciously using follow through helps you not do that. However if you are relaxed and calm enough not to do that it really isn't an issue. Much like flinching when shooting rifle.

Same thing goes for using a back tension release. You don't have to have one to shoot well. You can use a triggered release, and even slap it for that matter and still shoot very well. As long as you don't have issues with grabbing the bow at the shot, dropping your bow arm or trying to look around it to see where the arrow went. These are all problems a back tension release and wrist sling solve. Well they don't really solve them do they, they just trick you into not knowing when the bow will go off so you can't react in time. If you could grab the bow or mess up the shot during the shot then a back tension release would be useless.

My opinions anyway.

I do use one when hunting though just so I don't accidentally drop my bow out of the tree.

Paul
Old 07-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess a sling is okay for perching in a treestand, if you always have time to stuff a gloved hand inside the thing. No way would I ever use on on the ground though. Things can happen too quick on the ground.

I've rarely used a bow sling, even for tournaments. Got about a half dozen of the things that have come with bows, but I usually get tired of them pretty quick, take 'em off and toss 'em in the junk box.

I wrap the index finger LOOSELY around the back of the handle, but fingertip firmly contacting the tip of my thumb. My index finger IS my bow sling, I guess you could say. Tip of the middle finger is sitting LOOSELY on the back of the handle. Ring finger and pinky are folded up between the handle and my palm. That's the grip I always shoot with and I've never had any problem with follow through, accuracy or consistency due to my grip.

Now, my vision... that's a different matter. [&o]
Old 07-22-2007, 06:08 PM

Arthur P and I many times think and act along the same lines. His recommendation as follows is very similar to what I teach.
I wrap the index finger LOOSELY around the back of the handle, but fingertip firmly contacting the tip of my thumb.

I do, however, not touch the bow with any of my fingers, whichhelps me from havinglittle influence on the left and right variances.

The reason that wrist slings can be dangerous while hunting is that many/most carry their bow with their hand in the wrist sling. If one tends to fall, there is little to no time to get the bow off the hand and various injuries can result if the bow cannot be disgarded. I know this because at a very young hunting age I hurt myself twice.

Just this year my son saw me trip/fall and, had I not been able to get rid of the bow, might have sustained injuries and especially so since I was carrying a tree stand on my back. His comment after the fall was "Now I see why you don't like a wrist strap."

Also, too many people actually ruin their form by the misuse of wrist slings. Too tight, as Arthur P suggested, and it will cause you problems.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use one but for what i do i dont know if it really does much for me.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Len, that makes perfect sense as usual.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive used a sling ever since I started bow hunting. They work great when used correctly as illustrated in the video...ohh yea can you imagine tryign to bow hunt with a stabilizer that long