Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wrist sling

Old 07-21-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Wrist sling

I dont have a wrist sling on my bow right now but, i saw that alot of people do. Do i need one or not. What are they for?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wrist sling

It's recommended to hold the bow with a loose grip, to decrease the chance of torquing the grip and throwing the shot off. A sling can prevent you from dropping the bow, should your grip be too loose. However, with ample practice, that shouldn't be a problem. I think it's more of a mental "seat belt" for your bow, than anything. I don't use one any more, but that's just me
Old 07-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you need to see correct form in action. Check out this little video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGdlZ71Kd0

Notice, the way the grip is held, not like a ball bat.. Very gently, and in the right position.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't used a sling for several years, and I still kill the critters that I shoot at! IMO, not necassary!
Old 07-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

i just started using one. i didnt for a year and did shoot well, but theres been tough times when i would tourque the bow immediatly after touching off the shot and throwing every arrow. i bought one to help with my mind...it was all mental. back to shooting good...thus far. kind of a pain in the butt to put your hand through though....i have mine pretty tight so i can feel it there..probably take it off or loosen it up for hunting...but i do like it...i know i wont drop the bow if i have it on..
Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Howler

I haven't used a sling for several years, and I still kill the critters that I shoot at! IMO, not necassary!
I could too, but then I wouldn't be holding my bow right.

Most guys I know try toshoot better and improve every aspect of their skills, it's impossible to follow through without a sling.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to take your archery skills to a higher level a sling is a good choice. You can kill game all day without one but get in some five spot leagues and every thing you can do to get an edge would be advantagous. If you want to win anyways.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:41 PM

I just got one for my bow and i cant fell a differecne since i got it
Old 07-21-2007, 08:56 PM

I just think they look cool. Ihad one made with custom colors to match the colors of my strings and cables.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:01 AM

..... it's impossible to follow through without a sling.
I taught my Master Instructor, Alexander Kirillov, that this was not true for hunting.

I try to teach all my students not to use a wrist sling for hunting because it can be dangerous. Those who still want it get sold one, but most find that they would rather not use it. It was designed by tournament users for their particular form and equipment. In that format it works well, but for hunting it is not necessary.

Quick Reply: Wrist sling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.