HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Hunting out of a blind (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/198452-hunting-out-blind.html)

sr77 07-20-2007 12:50 PM

Hunting out of a blind

How many of you do this for deer? How far in advance do you set the blind up so you don't spook them. Reason I am asking is that there are a few places my buddy and I want to put a blind up, but I wouldn't leave it there for days on end before we go to hunt. How have deer reacted to seeing a blind put up that day ( if anyone has experienced that)?

Shane

wibowhntr 07-20-2007 01:06 PM

RE: Hunting out of a blind

I usually just sit mine up and then hunt out of it and then take it down again. I feel that as long as it doesn't "stand out" that you will be fine. I missed a PY at 15 yards(buck fever) and it was the first time my blind was in that spot and he didn't even have a clue I was there. It also helps if you put netting over the windows to help conceal your movement.

RDHunter 07-20-2007 01:12 PM

My Double Bull T5 cost to much for me to leave it any where public or private so I never left out , not even over night.
I never had a problem with hunting out of it the same day in fact the deer seem to stop to look at it long enough for me to draw my bow back and get a shot off.
The trick is to brush it in real good , I try to put it up against a nice thick bush and then blend it in as much as I can so the only thing the deer see might be my shooting windows , by then it's to late as my arrow goes thru them.

sr77 07-20-2007 01:13 PM

This is what I thought also, sounds good. I have heard they can spook deer, and need a little time for them to get used to it. I know turkeys don't seem to be affected.

Shane

gplant 07-20-2007 01:19 PM

I use them with the kids and have not had any trouble with aGood back ground and the right wind

ladybowhntr 07-20-2007 04:36 PM

Had mine in place since Spring Turkey season. All brushed in with natural vegetation growth. Have only checked it twice when mowing to keep scent completely away from it. Withstanding the weather quite nicely.

Siman08/OH 07-20-2007 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: ladybowhntr

Had mine in place since Spring Turkey season. All brushed in with natural vegetation growth. Have only checked it twice when mowing to keep scent completely away from it. Withstanding the weather quite nicely.
Ive done the same thing, its in the middle of a bean field, next to a birdhouse that the farmer drives around. Should be a good early season sight!

RWK 07-20-2007 08:07 PM

I like to put mine up about 2 weeks before the season.

BowHunterJim 07-20-2007 08:08 PM

make a natural one out of branches.

GTOHunter 07-20-2007 08:33 PM

I put my Blind out 2 weeks before Turkey Season...blended some tall barn grass around the 4 sides and had several Turkey's walk in close and even a young Buck walked right up to the Blind and circle around it.So it made me a firm believer in ground blinds! :)