Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where do you need to improve?? >

Where do you need to improve??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where do you need to improve??

Old 07-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where do you need to improve??

Putting more thought into my hunting spots, IE using terrain, food sources, and approach/exit paths.

Not overhunting my favorite spots...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:06 PM

shooter recognition. I was never used to actually classifying deer as big or not but i think i am getting better at it. this time, if a huge deer comes by, i want to be able to recognize it. (last year i got a 14 point and never realized it was a big deer till i asked my dad how i did. It does help to control buck fever though.)
Old 07-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fakejordan

shooter recognition. I was never used to actually classifying deer as big or not but i think i am getting better at it. this time, if a huge deer comes by, i want to be able to recognize it. (last year i got a 14 point and never realized it was a big deer till i asked my dad how i did. It does help to control buck fever though.)
If it is the one in your avatar...that thing is a beast.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I need more practice from shooting out of a climber 25 feet in the tree.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Honestly.....short story...

I was putting a lot of pressure on myself, last year. I'd never killed a deer, period. I had read, watched, practiced, studied until I was chock full of "information". I was doing everything "right"...."by the book". I was 3 weeks into my season.....and I was still without a deer (and not without an opportunity that I had blown, let me confess).

I had a talk with a guy I work with that's a successful whitetail bowhunter (he manages his property the way I want to manage where I hunt)....and he's taken some very nice deer via archery tackle. He called me one night....out of the blue.....and told me he'd been thinking about my trials and tribulations. He told me to forget about being SO "technical".....and to follow my instincts about 1) where to hunt on specific days 2) when to hunt 3) entry routes etc... . He told me that I'm smarter than they are.....and reminded me that I've trusted my instincts in every facet of my life .....and it's worked out.

After that talk (and very similar conversations with Germ and Rob/PA).....my season turned around. So......where do I need to improve? I need to trust myself, more....and more often. Forget everything other than the sound principles.....and trust my own instincts.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

My main thing to improve on is not to poop my pants
That's more of a life rule that I try to follow, not just for hunting.

I've got to stop fidgeting as much as well. I find myself losing focus outside of the "magic hours." I also need to get out more. Life has been very limiting on my time the last several years, and I've got to take some time back and get out there. I feel I'm right on the verge of consistent success if I can get out there and finish putting the pieces together.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I need to get to my stands and set up quieter, also I need to not rush my shots. That whole mental ritual thatIgo thruon the range to put the arrow where it needs to go has been going out the window when a big brown target steps into my shooting lane...
Old 07-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I fidget too much on stand. And I catch myself taking shortcuts.
I know this feeling.

I need to work on being patient and persistent.

Make a plan and work your plan, I tend to start second guessing and wondering about other stand sites.

Attention to details and don'tbe lazy or take the easy option all the time
(i.e.) "Well I know that stand off theditch is a great spot but that's a long walk through some thick stuff and the mosquitos are pretty thick, I'll just hunt that thicket near the field again."

"NEW61375 you are such a slacker,you should have takenthe hike Nancy!"

That's whatone of the voices in my head says to me later.