HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Scent Loc/Scent Blocker question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/198086-scent-loc-scent-blocker-question.html)

BigTiny 07-17-2007 07:32 PM

Scent Loc/Scent Blocker question

Last time this came up, I asked a question about what the difference is between the scent loc/ scent blocker suits and the military surplus charcoal suits or the liners. What is the primary difference between these? Will the surplus suits/liners even work?

I'm not trying to revive any arguments about the stuff, as I don't believe anything will completely eliminate human scent. I want to reduce my scent signature as much as possible. If the surplus stuff can do the job, then there's more money to spend on other stuff.

Germ 07-17-2007 07:35 PM

RE: Scent Loc/Scent Blocker question

Who the hell needs the MOR channel, we have HNI Tuesday Night Fights:D

dukemichaels 07-17-2007 08:05 PM

I not 2 shur what the diferince is...

butt they werk dammitt.....:D

BigTiny 07-17-2007 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I not 2 shur what the diferince is...

butt they werk dammitt.....:D
Which ones work, the consumer stuff or the surplus?

Tarheel_Hunter 07-17-2007 08:25 PM

As I understand it, the surplus stuff is double-layer, and heavy!
The commercial stuff (Scent-Lok) has worked great for me...and its much lighter and more comfortable.
That's as I understand it....

MichaelHunsucker 07-17-2007 08:33 PM

I do not know the difference between them.

I have used Scent Blocker and Scentlok and i have reason to believe that it may have helped me in some situations.

They way i look at it is that if it even works a little bit, its worth it to me.

bigbulls 07-18-2007 07:49 AM

The military stuff has a whole bunch more activated carbon inside the garments. Therefore it will be heavier, warmer and less breathable but it should work much better than the cnsumer stuff.

DoctorDeath 07-18-2007 07:58 AM

There is a very simple test you can perform to find out of this "scent lock" suit really works .... the next time you are in hunting camp just eat some bean chilli ...then maybe a couple of boiled eggs or some boiled cabbage ....then drink two or three cups of coffee ...slip into your "scent lock" suit and go stand next to some of your hunting buddies and LET ONE RIP ....if they do not gut you on the sopt then it must work ....

dd

GRIZZLYMAN 07-18-2007 08:01 AM

Ugh, I use to wear MOPP suits back in the day. I remember if you sweated to much, us white boys would turndarker when we came out of them. :D

BigTiny 07-18-2007 09:30 AM

I had to wear them too. Imagine working on a hot tarmac 35 miles south of New Orleans in full mopp gear in August. Ahhh, good times![:@]

So, if the military versions have more charcoal per square inch of fabric, I'm guessing they will probably be more effective than the consumer version. I have noticed that the liners are not quite as heavy as the ones that come sewn into a mopp suit, so I'll probaby try that this year. For $10, it's worth a try.

If it's still too hot, I'll put the liner in a bag with my hunting clothes and shake it up.