Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Motion sickness? >

Motion sickness?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Motion sickness?

Old 01-17-2002, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Motion sickness?

Actually Di you are right. The majority of it is in your head, mental I mean. While a inner ear infection or something of that nature will cause it. It mostly has to do with your ability to cope with it. I luckily don't have it, but I have acrophobia intsead. I will do the same thing if I stand halfway up a ladder. I get queezy and light headed and my hands sweat. Odly enough, airplanes and stuff don't bother me at all, and I love rollercoasters. Only open platforms and ladders do it. I'm not alot of fun in a tree stand.

Go to your doctor and talk to him about it. He can tell you what is around that you can try. And possibly prescribe something short term for you. I have met plenty of people that get prescriptions to fly. A pharmicist might be able to help also. I took something called antivert when I had vertigo and it worked ok for the nausia, but everything was still spinning around. It also made me very tired. I am going to guess that anything that works well will most likely cause drowsiness. I have noticed the same thing with alergy medicine. Oh that's something else you could try, Benydril(spelling?). That drug seems to work for just about anything.

Best of luck, Paul

P.S. Maybe you could get hyptnotised into believing it does not bother you.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey Clint, ya remember that big ole halibut I caught on my bear hunt the spring of 2000. Well the first time we went out it was pretty decent waves not to mention the tide rippin. My partner, the boat cpt, decided to drop anchor..almost everyone on the boat was getting quesy but him LOL! Float planes, well as long as I didnt look straight down for 1hr 45mns, I could hold breakfast LOL!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:56 AM

Paul, He actually has something that they call meniers,which is a inner ear prob and causes you to be dizzy wether your standing still or moving around. Flights just increase the problem really bad.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:13 PM

Try using ginger. You can but a bottle of ginger in capsules for under $5 from most stores in the vitamin section (try WalMart).
Take a few the day before and then during the day(s) you are traveling as needed. Very effective for most people and no side effects.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:29 PM

Best product for motion sickness is the Trans-Derm Scop patches only available by prescription. Apply one patch behind ear and it lasts for 3 days. Next is a product called meclizine. Comes in 12.5 and 25 mg over the counter...It comes 12.5 up to 50 mg by prescription but is same product.

Pharmacist Ron
Old 01-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Cliff....... Just bear down and think of them days when you use to party all night long....... Keep a bag near ya, and hold on fer your life!!!!!!!!!

Honesty, hope you have a good time and find away around this.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:40 PM
Spike

I can't remain silent on this one! From commercial fishing experience, and also being on Superior a lot I want to say MOTION SICKNESS IS NOT "ALL IN YOUR HEAD". In fact, even salty old Coast Guardsmen can get seasick when forced to perfom in stormy conditions. I would say EVERYONE gets seasick, but people have vastly different tolerances.

The good news is an over the counter medicine called "Bonine" (active ingredient is meclazine, I believe). It is WAY better than Dramamine and doesn't make you sleepy at all. My experience is that Dramamine can make things worse because the drowsiness it causes makes you less able to move with the ship, or whatever.

What really ticks me off is when people who have a high motion sickness tolerance give bum advice like keeping a full stomach. There is nothing so awful as being out on a plane, or especially a boat, vomiting every few minutes and knowing you're trapped for hours!

Get yourself some Bonine and enjoy the day!
Old 01-17-2002, 03:55 PM
Spike

I have agree with Randy in the use of meclazine. I get very seasick and went on a cruise(wifes big idea). The water was very rough and I got sick. Took some meclazine and in 1 hour was ok for the rest of the trip as long as I took it.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

BONINE IS THE OTC ( OVER THE COUNTER ) FORM OF ANTIVERT. THEY BOTH ARE MECLAZINE. BUT IT CAN CAUSE DROWSINESS. TRANSDERM-SCOP PATCHES ARE BETTER WAY TO GO FOR ME BUT AS I SAID I THE RELIEF BAND MAY REALLY BE THE BEST BET.
A FULL STOMACH HELPS DECREASE SYMPTOMS BUT NOT SPICEY OR GREASY THINGS AND NO ALCOHOL.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:33 PM

Good advice, However I am not so concerned about the float plane ride as I am the stay on the boat. Also for those who think motion sickness is in your head must not get motion sickness because it is a medical condition that can get quite bad. Thanks again, Clint

Quick Reply: Motion sickness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.