HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   first attempt at fletching my own arrows. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/197876-first-attempt-fletching-my-own-arrows.html)

deerslayer270 07-16-2007 10:43 AM

first attempt at fletching my own arrows.

well i finally decided to do what ive wanted to do for a while now and buy a bohning fletch jig and some 2'' blazer veins, the glue and the arrow wrap stripper (god i hate arrow wraps). so i did a half dozen and they came out pretty good, lemme know what yall think....

txjourneyman 07-16-2007 10:46 AM

RE: first attempt at fletching my own arrows.

Looks good to me.

mobow 07-16-2007 10:54 AM

Nicely done! Get yourself a good vane stripper and some denatured alchol and those wraps won't be a problem anymore.

What Bohning jig did you get? The Blazer jig or their "regular" one?

deerslayer270 07-16-2007 11:09 AM

well i did get the bohning stripper (works good) and i rubbed em down with rubbing alcohol after i got all the crap off to make sure they were clean. and its just a red, straight fletch bohning jig, it dosnt say specifically blazer jig on it so i guess its just a "regular" one? whats the difference?

Wheatley 07-16-2007 11:27 AM

It's missing one vane!:D J/K. They look good to me. I just got a bitz and fletched my first arrows as well.

Jim_IV 07-16-2007 11:40 AM

looks good, why all the hate with wraps?

deerslayer270 07-16-2007 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

they are such a PITFA to get off...yeah with the stripper it makes it easier but just seems like un necessary work to me...there really is no point to a wrap except to look pretty....

Bullet Hole Bailey 07-17-2007 11:05 AM

I dont like wraps much either, but i think your fletching job is just dandy!

SwampCollie 07-17-2007 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: deerslayer270

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

they are such a PITFA to get off...yeah with the stripper it makes it easier but just seems like un necessary work to me...there really is no point to a wrap except to look pretty....
Well, yes and no. I think wraps are useful to help locate your arrow as well, that is, if you are using the white/reflective ones. That said, there are better ways of doing business. I paint and crest my own. I think they look a lot better than wraps, and I have pride in my own work.

Another good way is to take a 1" strip of reflective tape and wrap around your arrow above and below the fletchings, lets you see it after dark but with none of the mess associated with wraps. Just depends on whether you want to be a baller or a pimp (if you know wut I'm sayin').

Nice work on the fletchings! Now that you've started to roll your own, you'll never go back to MTO arrows again.