HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Need some advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/197473-need-some-advice.html)

RDHunter 07-12-2007 03:38 PM

Need some advice

I'm in the need for some new broadheads this season , my question is what would be the best broadhead for the the arrows I'm using.
I'm shooting 5575Gold Tip XT Hunter's , there 29 inch's long , don't know the total weight of the arrow itself.
I was using Muzzy's four blade 100 gr. in the past and I use a 100 gr. field tip for practice and 3D shooting.
As for my bow ... it's a Darton Marauder set at 68 pounds with a 70 % let offif that information helps any.
What type of broadhead would you guys recomond any advice will be appreciated .... Thank you

KodiakArcher 07-12-2007 03:46 PM

RE: Need some advice

For the way you shoot? A bent one, give the deer a chance man!

You forgot to add to your signature: "Proud winner of the HNI Vegas League".

Oneshot7 07-12-2007 03:52 PM

I am gona recommend the G5 Strykers or Montecs. I jsut like the fact thay they are just about bullet proof( montecs) and the Strykers are scary sharp

Matt / PA 07-12-2007 03:53 PM

RD,
Seriously there are SOoooooooooooooo many good choices in broadheads today that it really is hard to find a bad one anymore. Some will compliment certain set ups better than others as in the case of big mechs and high energy rigs etc. but the most important thing is to make sure they are attached to arrows that are flying straight.

Regardless of what style you choose make sure the bow is tuned properly and none of that energy is wasted during penetration.

That said, for "middle of the road" type bow set ups I really like the new generation of short profile inherently accurate replaceable blade heads like the G5 Striker, Rocky Mt. Blitz (formerly the Turbo), Muzzy MX-3 etc.

In a mech head the good ol' Rocky Mt. Snyper or Rocket Steelhead lines will continue to reliably take game.

This really is IMO the "Golden Age" of broadheads.....never before in the history of the sport have we had such a variety of quality heads to choose from.

IL-Cornfed 07-12-2007 04:24 PM

There's certainly nothing wrong with the Muzzy's you were using. However, if it's a change you seek than I would opt for the Slick Trick in a fixed blade version and a Rocket Steelhead for a mech.

mnhunter_32 07-12-2007 04:36 PM

muzzy 3 blade 100gr bh seem to fly better for me. and why do you want to change bh's did you have a bad experience with the muzzys?

RDHunter 07-12-2007 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mnhunter_32

muzzy 3 blade 100gr bh seem to fly better for me. and why do you want to change bh's did you have a bad experience with the muzzys?
I didn't say I wanted to change and no I didn't have a bad experience with them.
I said I'm in need of new one's and I wanted to ask everyone what they thought would be the best broardhead for that arrow type.
I like Muzzey's ... their "BAD to the BONE" :)but even Muzzey's have a tendency to get dull after a couple of years.
Oh Kodiak ... there wasn't enough room for that claim to fame in my signature , however I do have it listed in myprofile as well as a HNI Hunt'n Camp Survivor. ;)

creekcritter 07-12-2007 05:03 PM

G-5 MONTEX
SWEET BROADHEAD.

Washington Hunter 07-12-2007 05:10 PM

So far this year I have tried quite a few different styles of broadheads.

I've shot;
100 grn. Muzzy3-blades
100 grn. Muzzy4-blades
100 grn. Wac 'Ems
100 grn. G-5 Strikers
100 grn. Tight Point Shuttle T's
100 grn. Magnus Stingers

The only heads from that list that hit completely different from my field points were the Shuttle T's. Everything else was at least within an inch in any given direction from any given distance.

The Muzzy's lost their edge pretty squickly shooting into a Block 4x4.

The Stingers fly great and stay sharp, but I decided to give them to my dad for him to use this fall.

I like the design of both the Wac 'Ems and the Strikers, but because of the larger (looking anyway) cutting diameter of the Strikers, I'll be shooting those this fall.