HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Cold weather bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/197391-cold-weather-bowhunting.html)

121553 07-11-2007 09:52 PM

Cold weather bowhunting

Last year I made some drastic changes in my hunting gear and one was to go to a release. I found out that just useing a tee shirt I would develope a strawberrie on in inside of my bow arm. I tried to compansate for it but bowhunting last year in zero temps and added layers cost me a nice 5pter at an easy shot. I never had this problem useing fingers but the groups I'm shooting with a release I don't want to go back to fingers.
I was just wondering how most cold weather bowhunters can shoot with additional clothing or do I just go back to what works for hunting?
Thanks.

Bobby

MichaelHunsucker 07-11-2007 11:30 PM

RE: Cold weather bowhunting

Now that your shooting a release your draw length is probalby too long....

When im hunting in cold weather i usually dont have this problem.

BigJ71 07-11-2007 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

I agree.

I'd also like to add that I think most people would benefit by shortening their draws for their hunting rigs. I have an 81.5 in wing span andhave shot 32in (and some times 33in)bows my whole life. The last few years I switched to a 31indraw and found that it's a whole lot easier to get on target and into good shooting formno matter what angle or position I'm shooting from. I also have absolutely noissues with hitting my bulky winter clothes even while shooting from those awkward positions.

It has helped me tremendously and it goes to show that you can indeed teach an old dog new tricks......well, not so old dog.;)

in da woods 07-12-2007 08:55 PM

I agree with the others. Your draw length may have changed. C if your release can adjust the length. If so, shorten it to the point that it's closed to your finger. You may notice at full draw, if your arm is back farther. U might even have to change draw length cam modules. Good luck.

Howler 07-12-2007 09:19 PM

If you were getting strawberryed with short sleeve shirts, your draw was too long to start with, add a release and bulky winter cloths only magnified the problem.
Need to try a shorter draw bow some time, with a release. I'd guess that you'll find that it will work better for ya.

TeeJay 07-12-2007 09:23 PM

And when you think you shortened it, shorten it some more!

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

davidmil 07-12-2007 09:40 PM

And when you think you shortened it, shorten it some more!
Ed Zachery

wis_bow_huntr 07-13-2007 05:43 AM

When it comes to cold temp hunting most of us in Wi are no strangers to it. It can be 65 one day and 20 the next and youd better be prepared and better practiceshooting with your warmweather gear and your cold weather gear. The bulkier you are the harder it may be to get that perfect shot off. I try not to dress too bulky when its cold. I wear a pair of long johns, pants and then my bib over alls along with a tshirt, camo flannle shirt and my cold weather jacket.You can get warm clothes that arent bulky but you may pay a pretty penny for them. Your best bet is to dress in layers or invest in Underarmour. I havent tried Under Aurmor yet and would like to know if anyone here has. My bother has a turtle neck shirt that was made by them and he loves it, keeps his uper extremities pretty comfrotable. The last thing you want is cold muscles when the moment of truth arrives.

GMMAT 07-13-2007 05:50 AM

I can honestly say my bowstring hasn't ever slapped my arm. I've got garments that have cinches or zip in guards to keep your clothing tight to your arm....but I don't like them on there (guards).

You can shorten up your loop....and also try using your second knuckle to trigger your release, too.

Good luck.

Copper31 07-13-2007 05:56 AM

121553, did you change your set up at all when you went from fingers to a release, or did you just add a release?