HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   BROWNING MIRAGE , FIRST BOW BARGAIN ???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/197316-browning-mirage-first-bow-bargain.html)

Bailsuk 07-11-2007 12:27 PM

BROWNING MIRAGE , FIRST BOW BARGAIN ????

I have been offered a Browning mirage 2005 thats hardly been used in mossy oak camo with target sights and 12 easton arrows for 200pounds in UK thats about $400 . its got my draw length and draw weight 65# , what i'm asking is ... is this a good bow for the money , it will be my first bow . Cost 600pounds when new ? .

You don't seem to hear much about the Browning bows , so i thought i would check with the proffessionals ... YOU GUYS . :D

LebeauHunter 07-11-2007 12:38 PM

RE: BROWNING MIRAGE , FIRST BOW BARGAIN ????

Bailsuk,

With the exchange rate being so bad, wouldn't it be worth looking into buying a bow from the U.S.
in U.S. Dollars. I think a credit card charges only a small percent for the conversion.

Just a thought. I remember when the exchange rate was close to 1.5 to 1 not too long ago.

P.S. You should definitely qualify for the Bowtech in the Boonies program. :D

Bailsuk 07-11-2007 01:08 PM

I have thought about the importing bow option , but i cannot test it before i buy . And if i did import it would have to be a Bowtech/Diamond or Hoyt/Reflex for servicing reasons . Its very annoying that UK charge such high prices "rip-off Britain" .I have a guy on here ,who can help me out with shipping a Reflex Growler package or the Bowtech Tomkat and i think thats what i'll do .

Matt/TN 07-11-2007 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Bailsuk

I have thought about the importing bow option , but i cannot test it before i buy . And if i did import it would have to be a Bowtech/Diamond or Hoyt/Reflex for servicing reasons . Its very annoying that UK charge such high prices "rip-off Britain" .I have a guy on here ,who can help me out with shipping a Reflex Growler package or the Bowtech Tomkat and i think thats what i'll do .
Both very good bows there. I got to look a Growler over the other night, it's a little heftier than the bowtechs. If it were me I would go with the Tomkat, but thats just me.

Bailsuk 07-12-2007 01:15 AM

Hi Matt

The only thing i found with the Tomkat is the sights it comes with i'm told are not too great and the quiver has a tendancy to rattle . would you see that as a problem .

neck4752 07-12-2007 04:20 AM

That Growler looks sweet! I shoot a Hoyt and they are heftier than the Bowtechs but I like that.

Where are you buying the bows from? Is it online or at a pro shop over there? You should be able to talk the owner into switching out the sight and quiver.

Jim

Bailsuk 07-12-2007 04:35 AM

Not sure whether to buy from over here , the guy in my local pro shop said the Tomkat was aimed more to youth than adult and that it comes with cheap parts like plastic sights. So he did not really sell it to me if you know what i mean . more like he put me off .

StrutNtom 07-12-2007 04:42 AM

Um. Sounds like you need to find someone that will give you REAL info. A youth pulling back a 70lb draw? This dude is saleing you some BS.

I have a TomKat. If you look up the specs, its not a bad bow. Just search on here and read some of the reviews its gotten.

I had no problems with the sight that came on the bow. Yes, it is a cheaper sight. I changed it b/c I went to a whole different style of sight.

Personally, I didn't pay a lot more than what you would be paying for that Browning...And i bought mine brand new...and its an 07' model.

Bailsuk 07-12-2007 04:57 AM

So i should take notice of this guy and buy the Tomkat , i've seen the reviews and a lot of you guys on here have told me its a great bow . Iwill get it ordered as soon as i get back from holiday in 3 weeks . which rest and sight do you reccommend ? as replacement .

Alsowhich way does the draw weight adjust up or down , i am getting 60# so when i have got used to the bow i can go higher is that right or do i need the70#to adjust down to 60# to start off ?

StrutNtom 07-12-2007 05:18 AM

Its hard to buy a bow w/o actually shooting it first, but being a lefty I was stuck in this position.

I didn't want to start off with a High-end bow, but I wanted a "decent" bow. So, I ordered the TomKat. In all honesty, I have nothing bad to say about the bow.

At 67lbs, 27.5'' Draw Length its shooting just shy of 300fps. That is great considering its only 27.5'' DL.

With a Sims S-Coil on the bow it feels and sounds just like the higher end BowTechs.

It is said that bow performs better at or closer to its peak weight. So, if you don't want to go over 60lbs. Get the 60lb limbs. By this i mean that the limbs are maxed out at 60lbs.

The 70lb limbs can be adjusted from 60lbs--70lbs. Which is what i have and I shoot 67lbs.