Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting with both eyes open? >

Shooting with both eyes open?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting with both eyes open?

Old 07-07-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Shooting with both eyes open?

I have heard a lot of people say that they shoot like this. I was wondering how you do it exactly. I have tried it with my peep but I don't know if it is lined up unless I shut my left eye. Is there a special technique do this? Am I doing it wrong?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting with both eyes open?

I beleive you have to shoot without a peep, not sure though as I don't do it.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

I beleive you have to shoot without a peep, not sure though as I don't do it.
Wrong. Yes you can use a peep. Remember that the eye can only focus on one thing (peep, pin, target) at a time.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to be for sure that you are shooting with your dominant eye. Try drawing your bow, getting comfortable and settled in and then peek through your peep with just that eye open. After you see the sight picture in focus, then open your opposite eye and you should basically only extend your field of view and low light shooting potential, not lose focus with your right eye. You'll be amazed at how much more effective you'll become at shooting at game, under the lower light conditions that are normally required, once you learn to shoot this way.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

is it better to shoot with both eyes open? what are the advantages?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

In general it is better but there are a few that can't do it for whatever reason.

The main reason is you have a full field of view,which makes it much easier to stay on the right spot of an animal while aiming.

Another advantage is a relaxed face(no squinting).Alot of target shooters will use a cover over their eye,so they can keep it openfor this reasonif they have trouble aiming with both eyes open.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:07 AM

I started shooting with both eyes open last year and I my shooting has improved because of it. The advantages that I see are:

1. Better field of view
2. Better sight and feel for the target
3. Better ability to track the arrow upon release

Some people have difficulty with this due to their right vs. left eye dominance. If you are a right-handed shooter, being right-eye dominant makes this a whole lot easier.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah what mike said! I stareted shootong with both eyes open a few years back and my groups also tightened up.It takes alittle getting used to,but once you do you'll love it.I love being able to track my arrow to the target not to mention a the increase ability to see in low light conditions.Just start out at close range and you'll get it.GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

alright i have been shooting one eye closed for the last eight years. i am a right handed shooter but left eye dominant. is there any prayer for me. and i am a great shot with my bow and im not trying to toot my own horn, im just saying should i switch to both eyes open if im a good shot?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:44 AM

Don;t understand the science behind it but i decided to try shooting with both eyes open and i found it mych easier to do, and i am considerabley more accurate as well. Like i said, i don't understand it but it does seem to work.

Quick Reply: Shooting with both eyes open?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.