Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you crossbow hunt if disabled? >

Would you crossbow hunt if disabled?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
94.92%
No
5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Would you crossbow hunt if disabled?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:31 PM

Default RE: Would you crossbow hunt if disabled?

ORIGINAL: BigTiny
I can even imagine some people starting rumors about someone shooting a crossbow 300 yards at an animal. Kind of like the rubber boots only being good for 2 years thing.
Not starting any rumors here maybe a bit of exaggeration. I have known of a crossbow "hunter" that thought he was a sniper.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AK in PA

I think I'd do everything I could to hunt the way I want to hunt, with traditional bows. I have no interest in crossbows or inhunting with one. I've seen and/or had the pleasure to hunt with guys who had torn shoulders, were missing an arm or leg,or even totally blind, who are still hunting (and still killing critters) with traditional bows. (Fred Bear had nothin' on these guys.) If I were more"disabled"or run down than that, I don't know how I'd even hunt. Here are two such gentlemen, one blind and one missing a limb. Fine gentlemen who refuse compromise.

I admire those guys, they have a ton of guts!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

i was just actually thinking about that...my elbow and wrist have been killing me lately..not thinking I am going to become disabled. But it just sparked the thought, a million different scenarios popped into my head.
I would definately x-bow if I couldn't draw back a bow. I just like the difference between bow hunting and rifle hunting in my area. Rifle hunting is kind of like just going out and getting some meat in the freezer. Bow hunting actually consists of trying to pattern the deer and be in the right place at the right time, not just at the other end of the section opposite from the drivers.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I do hunt with the Xbow because I blew out my back, I enjoy shooting the Xbow but I miss the compound bow. I find that I enjoyed shooting the compound bow more than I do the Xbow, gut I am not willing to give up archery hunting.

HH
Old 07-06-2007, 08:45 PM

You bet your bottom.

The hunt itself means a lot more to me than which stringed-weapon I'd use.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I have known of a crossbow "hunter" that thought he was a sniper.
I gotta hear that story.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

i went to an xbow for 4 years after shoulder problems stopped me from being able to draw back my compound. just wasn't the same, and i stopped for 2 years and gave my xbow to the son in law. last year, i shot a compound again at a friends house and the pain didn't reappear. so, i'm back into the compound and shooting again-just not the hour a day i was before, and at 55 pounds instead of 70. hopefully, i can practice enough without blowing out the shoulder and stay healthy enough to hunt more than i have been in years past. archery season increases the number of days i have to hunt, and since health problems keep me out of the woodson some days each week, the odds increase the more days i have to hunt.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I have known of a crossbow "hunter" that thought he was a sniper.
I gotta hear that story.
Not much of story really. Put it this way. Some of the guys that I grew up with don't have the same ethics and morals as I do. I hear "hunting" stories.

So if pointing a crossbow toward the sky to kill a deer on the next hill over is okay; then so be it. Stuff like that.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:42 AM

I'm bowhunting one way or another. If I couldnt pull a regular bow back I would either be shooting a crossbow or the one with 99% letoff.

rick
Old 07-07-2007, 08:41 AM

If I could afford a decent crossbow I would probably try it without being dissabled. Just another form of hunting to me. I have been thinking of getting one to play with, don't know if I would hunt with it or not though. You can only use them during gun season in Michigan.

I have nothing against them in any season.

I voted yes, but to be honest if I was messed up enough that I couldn't draw my compound I would probably just give up archery hunting and stick with gun hunting isntead. In my opinion crossbows are not that much easier to lug around and use.

Paul

Quick Reply: Would you crossbow hunt if disabled?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.