Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Interesting Changes in PA >

Interesting Changes in PA

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting Changes in PA

Old 07-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting Changes in PA

Why discriminate against rifle owners?

What iftheguy down the street is"afraid of the dark" - sohe "needs" to carry his Remington700 seriesdeer rifle for "personal protection" whilehe bowhunts? Doesn't the Second Amendment apply to him as much as it does to a pistol owner?

Why not let everyone bowhunt with guns? I just don't see the difference.

I mean really, a 30.06 will do a whole lot more damage to a charging bear or deranged "meth head" than a .38 special - when push came to shove. Call me stupid, but...
Old 07-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I've got to saytosome of these Clint Eastwood want to be's who think it's their right to "pack" while bowhunting or doing anything else for that matter is, be prepared to kill somebody,before they take it off you and beat you to death with it, sell the gun, and cop some more meth.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

i really dont think its that big of a deal..i see people packin in walmart...now what kind of situation are you going to get in at walmart where your going to need a sidearm? very slim..yet its still leagle and its the individuals own choice....if that individual chooses to carry a handgun while bowhunting it should be no different than going to walmart or wherever. now is the temptation there while bow hunting to whip out the sidearm and pop the deer? absolutely but untill that peron does that and breaks the law we are no better than them because they are just doing what they choose to do, im sure very few of the many who cary actually have ever been in a situation where they had to use their weapon, but if it makes them feel better and safer to carry a handgun everywhere they go, thats fine. now i think the punishment for shooting a deer with it in archery season should be very severe. because if you hunt where there arent many other hunters it wouldnt be much harder to take out the 30-06 and nail a deer....if the guy is determined enough to kill a deer with a firearm out of season he is going to do it no matter what...
Old 07-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Typical Buck

VERY INTERESTING DEBAT,

HUH..........................
IF YOU WANT TO CARRY IT THEN CARRY IT BUT DON'T USE IT ON THE DEER

???????????????????????????
Old 07-05-2007, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm betting alot of people here would be quite surprised if they knew how many bowhunters carried concealed before this was made legal and never even realized it.
There's also no double standard against rifle owners.Every rifle owner-assuming he/she is a law abiding citizen that can legally own a handgun-has that same right .It's THEIR CHOICE if they don't want to
Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not a choice, Jim. I simply cannot take my Weatherby deer rifle with me bowhunting. Even if I "chose" to. There is a very clear double standard. ...and I think you'd be quite surprised to find out how many bowhunters were fined every year for illegally carrying handguns while bowhunting and spotting. Well, the operative word there is "were," b/c that's all now legal - and will certainly lead to the end of spotting as we know it - effectively strippinga"right" away from law-abiding citizens, just to keep the gun nuts pacified. It's coming, trust me. That will eliminate the PA buck hunter's best scouting tool. Thanks.

We all know why the double standard exists (pistols vs. long rifles), but you gun nuts just don't want to admit it: Because a guy bowhunting or spotlighting with a bolt action deer riflewould obviously bea "poaching risk," but somehow the coward "bowhunting" or "spotting" with his T/C Encore isn't a "poaching risk." Weird how you guys can twist or ignore common sense to fit your own agenda.

Same with the new spotlighting law. I just don't see the difference between spotting with this in the car:

(.22-250 T/C Encore, 7x scope, bullberry 12" custom barrel)

Versus this:

(Marlin lever action)

Obviously, I'm not afraid of Sasquatches, or carjackers, or the big bad wolf, or the tooth fairy, or aliens, or druggies, or squirrels, orsomebody's puppy dog- so maybe I'm just not understanding where you PA guys are coming from. Sorry, but I just don't know what a grown man, with a knife on his side and a quiver full of razor-tipped arrows is afraid of. Maybe y'all just need to sell your bows, hang up the quiver, and pick up a Wedding Fantasy Barbie.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even though I use it as m biggest tool for knowing how big of bucks are in my areas.....I would LOVE to see spotlighting done away with in PA.

Regardless of what is or isn't allowed to be carried in a car while you do so, big bucks get jacklighted often. Plain and simple fact. Ban spotlightingand it maymake it a little more difficult for this to happen.
Plus I wouldn't mind seeing an end to the continuous parade of cars on my road from oct todecember.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never spot lighted in my life, never seen a use for it. I could careless where the deer are at night
Old 07-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ryan - you and I have talked about this before - the poaching problem that comes with spotlighting. Big picture, I know it will help keep more big bucks on the hoof if we pull the plug on spotlights. This will be the impetus that causes that to happen, I think. I still have mixed feelings.

There's a difference in what we do, versus what some other people do, though. We scout like maniacs, wasting hundreds of dollars in gas every year, driving the roads, banging on doors, spotting hundreds of miles of field strips,looking for a book buck. We've seen the ugly underbelly of jacklighting, and we know that it's a huge tax on our big buck population. That matters to us, b/c we try to specifically target a big buck.

Most of our guys don't do that. They couldn't care less.They take the kids out a couple times a year, just to look at some deer and enjoy the evening. They don't care about big bucks, really. They hunt 2-3 days per year, and couldn't care less whether they shoot a scrubbuck or a doe. Those are the people who will pay the price. Spotting was a way of life for all of us guys. We grew up doing it. Once it's gone, it's gone for good.

In all, I'd agree. Our hunting will improve if we unplug the spotlights, but that will certainly cause me a lot of boring August nights.[>:]

Just big picture - are you guys prepared to make the trade-off? If the handguns come in, the spotlights go. Can't have it both ways. Your kids will never get to experience that. Your grandkids will never get to go spotting with Gramps. That's the cost.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fran, I see what you are saying. I grew up spotlighting and it is a buck hunting camp tradition that we do every year, in addition to being a scouting tool that I employ. I have to agree with Ryan though. If spotlighting is illegal it will take away the most commonly used tool by poachers in our state.

While I would miss doing it, I am willing to give up my right to do it to keep these scumbags from poaching. There is really no good reason other than the enjoyment for spotlighting, just as I see no good reason to have a handgun while bowhunting. If people refuse to abide by the laws then they need to change. In one case carrying a handgun was made illegal. A result of this most likely will lead to spotlighting being illegal. If it stops some of the poaching, I'm fine with that.

Quick Reply: Interesting Changes in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.