Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Interesting Changes in PA >

Interesting Changes in PA

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting Changes in PA

Old 07-03-2007, 10:57 AM

Default RE: Interesting Changes in PA

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

(as far as I am concerned the PA Game Commission cannot overrule the US Constitution),
That right there is funny.

Wonder how a judge would've seen that???? Come to NC and "carry" during bow season. Ask the the GW what he thinks about it.
Here in Baltimore we "carry" all the time....wait...oh....oh you mean during hunting season?! My bad.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: deerslayer270

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

ORIGINAL: deerslayer270

how do you hunt a half hour past sunset? unless your spotlighting?
Go to the weather channel and look up the time of sunset. This evening, stand in your yard and see when it gets dark. Notice the difference between the 2 times.
good point.....but didnt everyone do this already anyways?
Not legally they didn't. I'm not sure I like the changes to the carry law. Too much temptation for guys that are of the not so ethical sort. Besides, if you're worried about dogs or drunk kids you can get a can of pepper spray.
or a club ..... i still dont understand why anyone would want to carry a muzzle loader AND a bow? are they that bad with the bow that if they run out of arrows they have a "backup" muzzleloader? did it specify inline of flintlock?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe the bow & ML thing stems from that early ML week where it is doe only. Guys want to sit in stand and have the option to shoot a doe with their ML or a buck with their bow.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I may be mistaken, but I don't think we are talking about carrying a muzzleloader and a bow. My impression was that with the carry law if you have a handgun concealed weapons permit you could carry a sidearm. I doubt that muzzleloaders fall into the concealed weapons category.

My problem with this is that you can carry a .44 or .357 mag with a scope as a "sidearm" if you have your carry permit while bowhunting. I know a lot of guys that wouldn't hesitate to poke that big buck that walks by at 75 yards with a handgun.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, why cant you guys hunt on sundays, doesnt make much sense. I.E. Im doin real good if I get out of my tree 1/2hr after sunset. You can see pretty damn good for like an hour after, depends on where your sittn. Did I say that out loud?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

The carry thing and the ML/bow issue are seperate.

I'd be willing to bet a WCO catches you with a scoped handgun as your "protection" piece and you are going to get written up. They have that little prima facia evidence clause for definition of hunting, and i bet that gives them the leeway to take you in for that infraction. Plus I want to see someone conceal a big scoped handcanon.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seriously, why would someone need to carry a handgun while bowhunting in Pa? Real bad idea in my opinion.If you can't hunt with it, there's no NEED for it. Only negitivity will come of it.There's nothing in this state that threatens anyone seriously enough to warrent carrying a sidearm. Bunch of sissies! Like someone already said, if you feel afraid of something get some pepperspray.[8D]
I do love the extra weeks of antlerless this season though. God bless WMU 5-D.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are able to carry a handgun with you at all other times in this state, why not while bowhunting? Its not about being a sissy, its about your constitutional right.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM

For this to be fair. Everyone should have to register their deer at a registration station and have that animal black light searched. Any powder stains from the hand gun would be evident.

I have seen this done in Wisconsin in Early Season. I like the idea. Takes less than 10 seconds to figure out if the hunter shot it with the bow or gun.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Spike

It is ironic that the portion of this discussion concerning carrying a pistol while bowhunting in PA should take place over the July 4 holiday when we celebrate our freedom as US citizens. Inthe overwhelming number of countries in the world this would noteven be open for discussion.

"Early In" sees no need to carry a gun while bowhunting: I doubt anyone would challenge his right not to carry. The problem is that, because he sees no need to carry, he concludes that no bowhunter in PA should be allowed to carry. Thankfully, that decision is not his to make.

I own property in the country that is close to a college. It is common for me to exit the woods shortly after sundown on a Friday or Saturday to find a car load of college students with a case of beer in my field. There has never been any difficulty: I tell them that I do not mind if they hang out on my property as long as they carry out their trash with them and then go peacefully on my way.

If I should find them damaging my property, however, I will order them on their way.If things should ever turn nasty I want something more on my side than a can of pepper spray.

Is it likely that I will ever need the handgun that I carry? No. Am I grateful for the right to carry it? Yes, I am.

Quick Reply: Interesting Changes in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.