Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many pins do you prefer?? >

How many pins do you prefer??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
7 Pins
1.11%
6 Pins
1.11%
5 Pins
14.44%
4 Pins
17.78%
3 Pins
38.89%
1 Pin
26.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

How many pins do you prefer??

Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 PM

Default RE: How many pins do you prefer??

[/align]
i like at least 2 somtimes 3 depends on the bow!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Like Rick James, I mix it up. I have shot one pin all season. I have shot three. I have shot five for the last two years. This year, I'll shoot seven, because I am practicing out so much farther than I ever have (95 yards). My pins are set at 25,35,45,55,65,75,and 85. Will I take a shot at a deer over 40 in a hunting situation. NO. I might not even take one at 30 if I don't feel good about it. The longest shot I have taken on a deer was at 38 yards. I drilled her and she went down inside 35 yards. I don't want to shoot outside that range on a hunt, but I like knowing and practing through the season. I often shoot on my way out of the woods and take a practice shot from the treeat long distances before I get down, just topractice.

I have never made the mistake of using the wrong pin.( Not that I am arrogant enough to say that it won't happen) I use a laser range finder and know my yardage for the most part.

We'll see how 7 pins works this year.
That is a great point!! I guess extra pins may not be used but create a huge sense of confidence. It's like joining a weightlifting contest and practicing squating 500lb. when you know you will only be going for400lb.in the contest. It preparation.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've always used three for my Midwest whitetail hunting: 20, 30 and 40... Green for 20 (you've got the green light; let 'er rip!!) Yellow for 30 (Are you sure you're not gonna get a better shot? If not, go for it!) and red for 40 (Stop! Let's weigh your options here... Be sure of everything...)

I've added a fourth for 50 this summer in preparation for my upcoming elk hunt in Colorado... went with green since it was the furthest color away.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:41 PM

Green for 20 (you've got the green light; let 'er rip!!) Yellow for 30 (Are you sure you're not gonna get a better shot? If not, go for it!) and red for 40 (Stop! Let's weigh your options here... Be sure of everything...)
That;s a great philisophy!!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been known to have a couple good ideas every now and then...
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 PM

I use a 4 pin sight. 30, 40, 50, 60. The 50 and 60 is mainly for practice, I would never take a shot at an animal that far. I guess the other reason I have the longer distance if god forbid i would make a bad shot on an animal and would need a long distance follow up shot. But even then I would weigh the options before making a choice about the shot. It happened to me a couple years ago I shot a doe and for some reason still unknown to me I hit her way way back in the hind quarter. When i seen the arrow go I thought "Oh SH*T!" She only ran about 20 yards and laid down. I stayed in my stand and watched her for 4 hours. She got up and moved only a few yards, and then laid back down. The longer she layed there the better she looked. So I had a hard choice to make. 1 sneak out and come back in a few more hours, which was my first thought. But i thought if she suddenly gets a burst of energy and gets up and moves a hundred yards with no blood trail I might not find her. 2 sneak up and try a follow up shot. I ended up sneaking with in 25 yards of her and made a perfect double lung and she died in her bed. I got very very lucky on that deal. You just never know when you might need that extra shot for a clean kill.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:11 AM

i use 1 pin and like it alot.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

flyfish, one other thought on why I use that color combo in that order... not only what I wrote above, but that's also the reverse order the pins start to "wink out" on me... I lose visibility of red first in low light, then yellow and finally green. As it gets darker and darker in the woods, my pins go out as my effective range decreases... leaving me with my brightest pinat the smallest distance I can see at the end of my hunt. It's a perfect marriage.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

flyfish, one other thought on why I use that color combo in that order... not only what I wrote above, but that's also the reverse order the pins start to "wink out" on me... I lose visibility of red first in low light, then yellow and finally green. As it gets darker and darker in the woods, my pins go out as my effective range decreases... leaving me with my brightest pinat the smallest distance I can see at the end of my hunt. It's a perfect marriage.
You know Greg, I first read that and thought......"I do believe he's over-analyzing this just a wee little bit..."

Then I thought about some more.....That makes pretty good sense. As it gets dark, your effective range dissipates anyway due to limited light, and heck, you don't need that pin anymore anyway.......It's the minute, teeny weeny details we just wouldn't think about that sometimes burn us......How aggravating would that be to wait all year for a shot at a bruiser only to finally get it on the last day of season and not be able to see your 20 yard pin.....But by golly there's my 40 glowing bright......

Of course, I shoot a single pin slider that's green......
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM

I've 3 pins. 15, 20,30 meters. I've shooting with a old bow (like you've seen in my past topic) with aluminium arrows, so the drop is really impressive. beetween 30 ans 40 meters, i'm shooting 12" higher to touch the same place as my 30 m pin.

Francis

Quick Reply: How many pins do you prefer??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.