HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Apple trees (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/196094-apple-trees.html)

tree rat 07-01-2007 08:45 AM

Apple trees

I have an abandonded farm site with apple trees that are full this year. They are on the edge of the property and few other trees around. Any advice on how I can best use these to my advantage.

early in 07-01-2007 09:26 AM

RE: Apple trees

That's a deer magnet since they don't give apples every year! Try to figure the most likely route they would take to get to the trees and set up nearby. You have a great opportunity, good luck.

Rhody Hunter 07-01-2007 09:58 AM

sounds like a great set up. hunt near themand look for where they might enter

[/align]

MichaelHunsucker 07-01-2007 11:21 AM

If the apples drop good the deer will be on them hard. Find how they are approaching the apples and try and catch them on their way.

Bullet Hole Bailey 07-01-2007 05:41 PM

heck you might even try using a well brushed in ground bling becuase it sounds like it might be easier, i wish i had some where i hunt!

mauser06 07-01-2007 06:21 PM

i hunt an apple orchard. its tough hunting. well...mine is atleast...its urban hunting...but theres a good set of woods connected to the orchard...setting up in the woods isnt much of an option...its super thick where the orchard meets the woods and they take a couple trails in and out...what i do is setup in a tree on the edge of the orchard about 20yds away from where it meets the woods. they step out and they are in range...they walk through they are anywhere from under me to 40yds...but typically 20yds away...ive had shots at the deer ive seen in there...just no shooters..hopefully this year they are alive and all shooters:D

but they are deer magnets...mine were big apples not crab apples...makes a nice breakfast for me...

funny thing was the only time i seen deer was at like 8 or 9am...never early and never evenings...i cant figure that out. i think the noise of people going to work in the morning keep them in the woods and people working in the orchard till dark keep them in the woods till dark...i dont know...its on my list to figure out this season...

bob d 07-01-2007 06:56 PM

a spot i used to hunt had a couple of apple trees within sight of my stand , i hunted there for three years and there was probably less than 10 times in the stand that i did not see deer there. even if there were no apples they would come by and check it out.

BigBuck28 07-01-2007 09:39 PM

knock the apples off the tree a day before you hunt or the first day bc they like them a little soft bc they are easier to eat... try this little trick!!