Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Accomplished weekend warrior bowhunters. >

Accomplished weekend warrior bowhunters.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Accomplished weekend warrior bowhunters.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Accomplished weekend warrior bowhunters.

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Weekend warrior and accomplished hunter don't seem like 2 terms that go together to me.

Ditto.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gene Wensel once told me that given the option to bet on a very knowledgeable Bowhunter who could only hunt weekends or a Novice Bowhunter who got to hunt everyday, that he would put his money on the Novice to score.

I'd say there is a lot of truth to that
Old 07-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Gene Wensel once told me that given the option to bet on a very knowledgeable Bowhunter who could only hunt weekends or a Novice Bowhunter who got to hunt everyday, that he would put his money on the Novice to score.

And I think a lot of "accomplished" hunters' feathers get ruffled when someone purports that this ain't exactly rocket science we're dealing with, here.

I think Mr. Wensel recognized that, too.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

And I think a lot of "accomplished" hunters' feathers get ruffled when someone purports that this ain't exactly rocket science we're dealing with, here.

I think Mr. Wensel recognized that, too.
I don't know if you ever met Gene Wensel or not but he is one great guy in my Book. He took credit for one thing. HUNTING HARD!! and Hunting often!
Old 07-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Weekend warrior and accomplished hunter don't seem like 2 terms that go together to me.
rybo .... maybe not to you .....

some guys can only get out on the weekends .... if they put forth the time and practice they need to, and they learn as they go, and they connect consistantly on the prey they are after ...... are they still not accomplished in your eyes? ... They may not be ..... it's all subjective ... as long as no one looks down from their pedestal at others (I am not saying your doing that, Ryan) .... this can go both ways as well ..
Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just feel that being 'accomplished' means you've done a lot, hunted alot and killed a lot. A weekend warrior type in my mind does not fit that bill.

However, if there's a guy (which I'm sure there may be some) who only gets a few days a year to hunt & scout and still brings home above average critters with an extremely limited amount of time, then that is certainly impressive, but I really don't think there are that many people who fit that criteria.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

If we all try hard enough....we can figure out a way todiscern why someone "ISN'T" "accomplished". I know that. Personally.....I don't think it has anything to do with shooting different animals. We have people in this forum that likely only hunt whitetails with the bow.....and I'd hazard a guess that many of them are worthy of being called "accomplished". I don't think it has anything to do with hunting "quality" animals. What is a "quality" animal? That definition's in the eyes of the bowholder. How many years he's been hunting? Why is this a criteria? If Bill "accomplishes" in one year what it took Sam 10yrs to achieve.....who's more "accomplished"?

If you asked me.....A HUGE determining factor in this whole thing is where one lives....and the access one has to the animals he's pursuing. It's a pretty good bet I wouldn't have the chance to shoot the number of deer I do if I hunted where many of you hunt. Ditto the guys who consistently shoot large racked deer. They live or hunt where those deer are. Is a guy who goes to an outfitter in TX ....and takes a 180" deer every year more "accomplished" than a guy who takes the top % of deer from his available woods? What about the guys from the big buck states? Are they more "accomplished" ...based solely on geography?

Look around when you're at your local bow shop......at your peers. If it's important to you......think about whehter or not you feel like an "accomplished" bow hunter when compared to them.

Am I an "accomplished" bowhunter? I don't know....nor do I care (and I don't mean that sound bad....I just don't care if anyone thinks I'm 'accomplished'). I want them to see me as an ethical hunter. If they feel I'm "Accomplished"......so be it. If they don't....again...I sleep just fine. If you're hunting legally....ethically....and you're doing what you set out to do.......all the while maintaining a balance with your work/family.....

...then congratulations on your accomplishment.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel that if ahunter that has limited time anhe can fill most of his tags each year, with what would be considereddecent animals for his area.He or she does it eachyear, then I would be hard pressed not to consider them an accomplished hunter, of course ethics an fair chase would be a must in my book.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:18 PM

An accomplished hunter IMO is someone who takes complete satisfaction in hunting ethically regardless if an animal is taken or not.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:42 PM

I'll just copy and paste gmmats answere...can't cover anymore then that..lol..wellspoken words right there

Quick Reply: Accomplished weekend warrior bowhunters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.