Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

forum canceled

Old 06-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: deer driving

It's bad enough to allow women to drive, what is this world coming to. I am walking!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my take on it. First off, I get tired of people saying something is not a sport or not sporting simply because they don'tparticularly hunt that way. To me, if it's legal then go for it. If I don't particularly care to do it then fine but I'm not gonna act like I'm better and say your methods of hunting aren't a sport simply because I don't do it. I can find countless guys who can set up and execute a good drive and hunt circles around those people who say that they aren't sportsman. Lonewolf, for you to say there isn't sport in it is rediculous.It's clearly evident that you have either a) neverbeen involved in a deer drive in your entire life or b) have been involved in a drive that consisted of three people who barely know what a tree looks like running through the woods yellingat each other. A REAL deer drive usually requires a vast knowledge of the terrain as well as the local deer population. You have to know where deer are bedded, where they feed, how they travel and where to place the other hunters so that they are in the correct position in relation to these other factors.

Based on your statement a guy who hunts the same stump for the past ten years simply because he's to over weight to make it any further from his car is more sporting than the hunter who has hunted the same mountains for fourty years, knows every stick and twig like the back of his hand, taken a deer every year for the last 25 years, could propabaly tell you every bedding area and trail on this land and uses this knowledge to put on a well executed successful drive.

Last time I checked the only REAL weapon we are all born with is our brain. If you want to use it to study the area and find a well placed area for a tree stand then that's great. I do it every year all archery season long. Now, if I want to take knowledge of my hunting land handed down from generation to generation to put on a drive come rifle season then who are you to say it isn't sporting.

We are all hunters who need to support each other no matter how we choose to do it (legally). We have enough trouble with groups like peta attacking us that I never understood the need for some hunters to put themselves above others simply because they don't agree with their methods.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:42 AM

i dont like driving throughout the season because it runs the deer outa ur area..
but on the last day of gun season is the only time its acceptable
Old 06-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as they pass a driving proficiency test, have good eyesight, and insurance I don't see why we shouldn't let them drive.

On a serious note; I usually don't do drives except on property where I don't hunt often (throw-away spots)or in areas where conventional hunting methods aren't realistic (ie a small island of trees in a crop field). One place I like to push is a friend's property that has a lot of wooded ditches extending out into crops. We set up at the base finger of woods, where it joins a large forest and push from the point of the "finger" into the woods. This is usually a mid-day hunt and then we go do our stand hunts elsewhere in the afternoon.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: lonewolf316

Any one else dislike deer driving,
I don't mind them driving so long as they don't drink beforehand.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:32 AM

I don't know many people that do drives during archery season, usually a shotgun thing, sometimes rifle. Probably the best scenario for buckshot in my opinion. Since most on here don't like gun hunting to begin with, they certainly won't like deer drives. Or did you mean to put this in the Deer Hunting section?

I personally wouldn't want to do one, and I do gun hunt. But just because I don't want to do it doesn't mean it doesn't work or it shouldn't be done. If your ultimate goal is the harvesting of deer teamwork can't hurt. I guess it would really depend on the deer numbers and pressure in your area.

I wouldn't want to do one where I live, just too many people out with guns during shotgun season. Sounds a bit dangerous in my neck of the woods. I think people do them though.

And another thing to consider, if it is your land, who am I to tell you what to do with it. If you want to do a deer drive, do one. Now on public land I don't think it would be such a good idea around here.

Paul
Old 06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't know many people that do drives during archery season, usually a shotgun thing, sometimes rifle. Probably the best scenario for buckshot in my opinion. Since most on here don't like gun hunting to begin with, they certainly won't like deer drives. Or did you mean to put this in the Deer Hunting section?

I personally wouldn't want to do one, and I do gun hunt. But just because I don't want to do it doesn't mean it doesn't work or it shouldn't be done. If your ultimate goal is the harvesting of deer teamwork can't hurt. I guess it would really depend on the deer numbers and pressure in your area.

I wouldn't want to do one where I live, just too many people out with guns during shotgun season. Sounds a bit dangerous in my neck of the woods. I think people do them though.

And another thing to consider, if it is your land, who am I to tell you what to do with it. If you want to do a deer drive, do one. Now on public land I don't think it would be such a good idea around here.

Paul

Well said Paul and I agree 100%. We ONLY do drives during rifle season and it's always done at our hunting camp. We are located in the middle of thousands of acres on the tiadaghton state forrest. It's open to the public but the mountains behind our cabin never have hunters on them because it's almost impossible to get to so there is no interference with anyone else. I also agree that driving on public land through other hunters is probably not the way to go. However, this is an issue of hunting ethics rather than "sport".
Old 06-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

ok guys I want all you guys to come to CAPE COD and try to hunt deer with a gun and see if you kill anythingwithout driving deer......... We have 1 week of shotgun and u know what the deer live in.... scrub oak over your head sometimes wrapped in briars..... they have no reason to leave the srcub oak,it produces acorns and talk about cover you wouldnt be able to see a deer 3 feet infront of you if it didnt move. We dont have nice fields where you can set up in between the feeding and bedding are and there is no where, where its ust bedding cover the whole cape is bedding and feeding area. If you live in iowa or IL than i understand where your coming from bc you CAN hunt deer where they move to feed but here it just aint likethat so leave deeer drving alone in the EAST
Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Deer drives are not my cup of tea but to each there own. The one concern that I have is safety.My first year hunting,my father and I droveup to and my dad assisted with a kid who was my age that hadbeen shot by another hunter while doing a drive. You can say that the guy was an idiot all you want but it does happen. So as far a traditional drive goes it isn't for me. However I have "pushed" deer out of creek bottoms during both rifle and bow. Very effective way of getting deer to move. A nice slow walk and stalk.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

ORIGINAL: childers

wat the hell is deer driving?
i think its where u get 10 feet in a tree wait for a deer to walk directly under you.. take your underwear off jump strait down on the deer back pull the underwear though his mouth hold on both sides an the deer take you for a drive???????? i think... i could be wrong!
That was funny!

Quick Reply: forum canceled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.