Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone tried this for scent control? >

Anyone tried this for scent control?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone tried this for scent control?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone tried this for scent control?

For what it's worth and don't know if it works or not, never asked a deer, but I store my clothes in a air tight bag with a large sock filled with dirt. Been doing it for years, I've had deer with in five yards of me.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

One month before the season begins.....I do nothing but browse. I sleep in the field below the house.....and occasionally graze in the neighbors soy beans. I rub my head on trees trying to extricate the funky moss that's growing on my head ...due to the fact that I haven't bathed in weeks.

Every once in a while a friendly neighbor tosses me some corn....and I'm glad they put the salt down by the creek...so as to help with the thirst thing. With the exception of gettin really amorous around November, it's not a bad existence.....I'm really doin about all I can to keep the scent down.

Now if I can keep the spooners off off my ass.....I think it'll be a good season.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

One month before the season begins.....I do nothing but browse. I sleep in the field below the house.....and occasionally graze in the neighbors soy beans. I rub my head on trees trying to extricate the funky moss that's growing on my head ...due to the fact that I haven't bathed in weeks.

Every once in a while a friendly neighbor tosses me some corn....and I'm glad they put the salt down by the creek...so as to help with the thirst thing. With the exception of gettin really amorous around November, it's not a bad existence.....I'm really doin about all I can to keep the scent down.

Now if I can keep the spooners off off my ass.....I think it'll be a good season.
Okay.... any desire I had to stop by and see your place someday just went away.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny stuff GMMAT.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 AM

Two days ago I burned up what was left of a storage shed, and it left me lots of charcoal. I'm going to try storing my clothes in that and see how it works.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

If you use a cover scent that isn't natural to the area , the deer will get spooked / very caucious !
Old 06-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Id say try it, but if you dont have any cedar trewes in your hunting area you may spook the deer. I would use something that is native to your hunting area. Dont use apple if you dont have any apple trees in your area, dont use pine if you dont have pine in your area, you get the picture.
Agreed
Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 PM

The past few years I've tried it...put my clothes in a bin and threw dirt and fresh cut pine tree twigs in there.

Didn't seem to hurt me since I had plenty of close encounters.

I agree about the scent control, I think they'll always be able to smell you, but you might be able to fool them just enough to get close.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Cedars are indigenous to my hunting area, but not abundant. So when bucks find them on or near their travel routes they tend to use them as rub trees. Not always, but more often than other trees.Supply and Demand.
And thats why I'm thinking it may not be a bad idea to store mygear/clothes incedar chips.
Well, I've decided to give it a shot early in the season when bucks are using rubtrees. Whoknows, the smell of fresh cedar may draw one in for a closer look.
Otherthan detergent and deodorant, I'm not using over the counter scents this year. I'll be a lot more attentive to thewind this year.